Won’t Start

Fordy

I have recently completed an engine swap and the car wouldn’t start. Plugged in OpCom and it showed electronic throttle control malfunction. I swapped the engine loom and the car started up and the fault code was cleared. After idling for 20 mins the car cut out and wouldnt restart. I plugged in OpCom again and electronic throttle control malfunction was back again.

I’ve swapped the throttle body and the coil pack etc and I’m still having no joy. Any ideas what to check next?

Fordy

Swapped the MAP Sensor over and the fault is still present. The only thing I can think of doing next is to get another loom but aren’t confident that it will solve the problem as the car started with the current loom fitted.

Fordy

I should have a spare for each sensor within the engine bay so I'm just going to swap each one at the weekend. Should that fail to solve the issue, I will purchase another loom. My question is what is the actual difference between the looms with different indents? Apparently my reg gives the following potential indents:
  1. P6C
  2. P6D
  3. Q6R (also services R6F)
  4. N6H
  5. S6T
Another issue that I have is that the engine currently in the car is a bit of a mongrel, with parts from vectras and astras from different years, which may make the selection of the correct loom a little more difficult, dependant on the answer to the question above.

Fordy

Changed the loom and I still have the same fault. Starting to get frustrated with it now. Any other advice on what it could be?

Fordy

When I turn the ignition on, the fuel pump pressurises the fuel rail but the measuring blocks on opcom shows that the fuel pump is inactive.

Could a faulty fuel pump be causing the problem?

Fordy

it might be a idea to change fuel filter first if it's never been done

Because of where I’ve parked the car, I can’t get to the passenger side, so will have to leave that one to the very last. I’m getting to the stage now where I feel defeated!!!

vocky

Staff
any fault codes ?

Have you removed the cam cover and checked the cam timing is still correct ?

vocky

Staff
fuel pump only runs during engine cranking, if there is pressure in the rail it should be okay.
Also worth checking the fuses are all okay, also worth swapping the relays

You can test if the injectors are working by removing the fuel rail, then put a piece of cardboard below the injectors and crank the engine. The cardboard should have equal amounts of fuel from the injectors. If there is no fuel but you have fuel pressure then it's likely to be a relay

Fordy

any fault codes ?

Have you removed the cam cover and checked the cam timing is still correct ?

I clear the fault codes and refresh the list and I get electronic throttle control malfunction.

When I crank it over and refresh the list I get an additional code that’s something like throttle position adaption failure or something similar.

Yh I’ve checked the timing and it’s ok.

Fordy

fuel pump only runs during engine cranking, if there is pressure in the rail it should be okay.
Also worth checking the fuses are all okay, also worth swapping the relays

You can test if the injectors are working by removing the fuel rail, then put a piece of cardboard below the injectors and crank the engine. The cardboard should have equal amounts of fuel from the injectors. If there is no fuel but you have fuel pressure then it's likely to be a relay

I’ve checked all the main fuses in the engine bay and double checked them with a multimeter. I swapped over the fuel pump with the engine control relay and it didn’t solve the problem. What’s the brown relay for?

Fordy

Checked to see if the injectors are working whilst cranking and I can’t see that any fuel has been discharged from the injectors.

Would the fault code that is present stop the injectors from working or is the fact that the injectors aren’t working causing the fault code?