What's in your cleaning kit

identiti66

Seems things have changed a lot since the last time I 'properly' cleaned a car.. capfull of turtle wax in a bucket of tepid water, artificial chamois, a bottle of Autoglym and a bag of old t-shirts was it..

So, I have nothing in my kit apart from a couple of buckets... what do I need?

Sjdickso

Staff
The basics would be a decent wash mitt, two buckets with grit guards a decent shampoo, then a quick detailer with good drying towel then I would polish / protect and seal. Brands and budgets is your next question.

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
i like these :)
WP_001063.jpg

identiti66

So.. buckets, mitt, microfibre cloths and decent shampoo to get it clean and then those 3 ^^^ to get it smooth and shiny?

identiti66

Martyfart.. think you mean Carnauba wax??

Are all microfibre cloths created equal?

Are they used for waxing or is a softer cloth required?

Anyone using a machine (DA?) polisher?

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
there are good micro fibers and there are run of the mill micro fibers :)

the problem with car cleaning there's so many products

i can recommend jon's products from http://shop.evolutioncc.co.uk/
and here's a 20% discount code for z22se users - Z22se20 -

the glass cleaner and the worrier fall out remover are great well everything ive used from there has been real good and the prices are right :)

Last edited:

Sjdickso

Staff
As Carl says there is massive choice and easy accessible now in the UK when I started detailing some 10 - 12 years ago I had to import products from the states. I started using Mothers and poorboys which I still love today but also like megs / dodo and chemical guys and many other ranges.

As for MF clothes yes you can get cheapish ones which are ok or you can buy expensive plush ones, TBH I use cheapo ones for door sills and the seats etc. and then megs ones for general polish and wax removal, the ultra plush ones for the final sealant removal and buff.

identiti66

Scouring around the interwebs, this looks like it could be quite a significant investment..

Is there a single brand that is good enough to do it all? One that isn't going to bring me out in bruises if the missus finds out preferably.

identiti66

All good stuff chaps, very helpful, thank you...

I'm going to do a slow build of all the gear over winter, lessen the impact (when swmbo finds out)..

Need a couple of buckets.. (just working it out), a pair of cheap buckets will be ~£10.. a pair of grit guards ~£15.. or I can just get a pair of Dodo buckets with pretty graphics for £27.. pretty graphics win every time, someone can buy me them for Christmas (sorry about the premature use of the C word... I have 3 kids, they've been making lists for a couple of weeks now)

The hand car wash where I am uses it and I've seen it in motor factors think eBay got it too but you need the 5ltr kit comes with a bottle hose thing that u fill up and connect to a hose with the stuff and spray on car with the hose on think that's how it works