What are the sypmtoms of a failing FPR or Fuel Pump??

JohnnyN

Former Staff
As the title. What sort of problems can be expected from the above items if they were faulty?

FLD

Mine was being tricky to start. Turned out the pump wasn't holding good pressure. Once running the pressure was there so I guess the valving was 'tired'. I have a spare FPR if you need to try one.

JohnnyN

Former Staff
Thanks. I've had the boost line disconnected for a week now and the engine is starting fine when warm as opposed to when connected the car splutters to start when warrm. I emailed Jon at Courtenay this evening and we're both thinking that it may be possible that unburnt fuel from the boost injectors is settling in the intake manifold. Thus on start up the engine is getting a big gulp of fuel?

notsure.gif

JohnnyN

Former Staff
Well...........Mark Watts has them positioned directly into the inlet manifold. After seeing Poundys car on the rollers i'm not sure where his injectors are because when they ran it on the dyno they removed the inlet pipe to get more airflow?

As for all the vx220's i'm not sure??

techieboy

No extra injector (or piggyback ECU) required on the later Stage1/2 conversions. We're just using (on the VX220 at least) 4 uprated injectors from the Z20LET turbo engine, now that Courtenays have got enough access to the OEM ECU to alter the injector sizes.

techieboy

Don't mention lowered compression. :( :LOL:

No, not required anymore, but it does mean running extra ignition retard to cope with the higher compression.

You could probably lose the piggyback controller and the fifth injector setup, retain your decompression plate and have it mapped on the OEM ECU with uprated injectors. Retaining the decompression plate would mean that Courtenay's would be able to run normal levels of ignition retard/advance. Would at least mean that you could rule out the fifth injector being the problem on your setup and then normal diagnosis would apply. Certainly haven't heard of anyone in the VX world suffering this problem on the original style conversions though.

JohnnyN

Former Staff
I'm sure that when Jon handed the car over he mentioned that they never had to retard my ignition at all. 0 degrees of knock?

techieboy

JohnnyN said:
I'm sure that when Jon handed the car over he mentioned that they never had to retard my ignition at all. 0 degrees of knock?

Yeah, that would be because you've got the decompression plate fitted.

On the current standard compression ratio conversions, they need to retard the ignition by a couple of degrees. If you dropped the additional injector(s) and the piggyback but retained your decompression plate, they wouldn't need to add any retard as you'd still be running a lower compression setup but, they'd be able to use the normal four uprated injectors on the standard ECU. You shouldn't even lose a single bhp either (I lost 8bhp when I went to low compression after they'd re-remapped the car to suit).