Vectra clutch change does anyone have a step by step guide ?

john2666

Hope i have posted this in the right section, going to change my clutch on the sxi vectra 52 plate, any help would be appeciated. Is it a massive job? notsure.gif notsure.gif dunno..

john2666

Hi Ecky, i was dreading that, i was kinda hoping there would be a way round it, i will be on it in the morning for a day or two lol
thanks m8

john2666

well i am half way there, everything off and new clutch fitted, ready for box going back on tomorrow, i think i will do a step by step guide for anyone else who decides to do it !!

john2666

Hey thank you, all done and running, wasn't as bad i had thought, the only setback was the good old lancashire/manchester weather, pi**ing down for days and i was doing it on my driveway lol
If anyone wants any help with doing one let me know, more than willing to share.

Sorry to revive this old thread, but I'm affraid I'll have to do my clutch someday soon. I've never done such a big job myself, but am willing to try it. However a step by step howto or so would be really helpfull. Is there anyone who can point me to such an howto? I also need it for a Vec C.

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
i could start the step by step now then finish it by next friday lol
theres far too much to type out
copy paste

You need to:

1) Undo the upper bolts holding the gearbox onto the rear of the engine

2) Remove the front subframe and support the engine from above, preferably with a hoist

3) Undo the front and rear engine/gearbox mounting brackets

4) Support the gearbox from below

5) Undo the left hand engine/gearbox mounting bracket from the gearbox

6) Lower the engine by about 2"

7) Undo the rest of the bolts holding the gearbox to the engine and then pull the gearbox clear of the engine.

Maybe a dumb questions, but where do I put the axel stands? I thought that normally you place them under the subframe, But if you need to remove the subframe and driveshafts, where should I place the stands?

I also read somewhere that it would be possible to just lower the subframe on the gearbox side (and only unscrew the other side a bit). Could that work? Should I then still need to support the engine? Also. Do you think I need to remove/ other components/cables/hoses/pipes, etc when moving the engine a few inches the exhaust or other (non flexible) lines?

rushy

Maybe a dumb questions, but where do I put the axel stands? I thought that normally you place them under the subframe, But if you need to remove the subframe and driveshafts, where should I place the stands?

I also read somewhere that it would be possible to just lower the subframe on the gearbox side (and only unscrew the other side a bit). Could that work? Should I then still need to support the engine? Also. Do you think I need to remove/ other components/cables/hoses/pipes, etc when moving the engine a few inches the exhaust or other (non flexible) lines?
If its a Vec c there are little arrows on the side of the skirts pointing to the jacking points. Cut little blocks of wood to fit inside them so they sit proud of the cup as the skirt can flex and crack if you jack or use stands direct on the jacking point.

goody123

i could start the step by step now then finish it by next friday lol
theres far too much to type out
copy paste

You need to:

1) Undo the upper bolts holding the gearbox onto the rear of the engine

2) Remove the front subframe and support the engine from above, preferably with a hoist

3) Undo the front and rear engine/gearbox mounting brackets

4) Support the gearbox from below

5) Undo the left hand engine/gearbox mounting bracket from the gearbox

6) Lower the engine by about 2"

7) Undo the rest of the bolts holding the gearbox to the engine and then pull the gearbox clear of the engine.
Missed a fair bit out there lol.