Vectra B Xreg 2.2sri smoke/emissions failure

Spartacus

Hi my Vectra 2.2 Sri failed its test on emissions and when the mot guy revved the engine to improve the readings it smoked heavily with grey/white smoke
The head has been rebuilt and new valve guides used after 1 valve had burnt out
Head was skimmed and a genuine Vauxhall gasket and new bolts used
When the head was off the bores looked fine and no scoring evident
Previous to this the car had been using oil through burning it not leaking
I now have the dilemma of what to do with the car?
Reading through most posts worn rings are possible? (98000mls recorded now)
I ran the engine with an oil flush thinking that it may be rings sticking? But this hasn't made any difference? Now I have drained and changed the oil again
There are suggestions of spraying carb cleaner down the plug holes to free the rings? This might be worth a try?

The engine fires and ticks over on its own fine it's just when revved it smokes grey/white and smells oily?
Someone mentioned that the cat may be oiled up causing a blockage?
The Vectra has been garaged up from time to time and always ran lumpy when the engine was worked

Any pointers as to what's happening would be appreciated?
I can get a new cat for £60ish and would consider this before stripping the engine out?

Sjdickso

Staff
It could be piston rings, is it using much oil now? Surely when they rebuilt the head the rings should have been checked esp for been gunked up.

The cat could also be a bit clogged, possibly a good old Italian tune?

I have heard some people having good results from the internet after a teraclean session although I am a bit dubious.

Spartacus

Thanks for the reply I'm leaning towards the rings now as the head was all done
I don't really want to throw a great deal of money into the Vectra but would like to have one last go as the Mot guy said it was fine apart from the emissions and the smoke?
After reading through most of the comments a compression test would show up ring problems surely?
Oil consumption isn't really an issue as the Vectras not likely to run on the road in its current state?
Reading the other comments my oil usage was"normal"

I've read that the pistons can be removed with the block still in the car so it looks like this is my best bet to remove the head and dig into the engine and look for the obvious?
If it's the rings then fair enough I'll spend the money

I've been watching Z22SE engines on eBay and for some reason they make good money £200-£400 all the time? There must be some reason?

Last edited: