Vectra b subframe washer fix.

BURT150

For a while now iv had a knocking from the front end on my veccy and it got anoying to say the least.

Iv been through new shocks,springs, all parts of the top mounts, ARB bushes, Drop links and checked pritty much every other front end part god knows how many times and finaly yesterday i had a look at the front subframe bushes, I pryed one about and realised how much play are acualy in them. I looked at the rear bushes aswell and noticed that it had droped and must of been knockin against the triangular stay bracket bellow it. So that was looking pritty positive for where the knocking was coming from :)

Anyway i had a bit of a mooch on the net and there are a couple of threads on vvoc with information about repair washers from vx that are used to pull up the bushes and take the play out of them.

Me being a tight git tho and having an abundance of sh*t in the garage found a couple of heavy washers to do the job. so i pulled up the front two and the rear two subframe bushes and left the middle two alone as there wasnt much play in them.

And after all that jobs a f**kin good'un (y)
No more nocking and it made the car feel alot better.

I think for all veccy b owners this is a must. Especially s/c terorist veccys with uprated engine mounts (y)

From what i have read true or not The vx part number for these washers are#90468553 and are just under £2 each so for that price its well worth it.

It worked a treat for me so i thought id better share my findings :D

Hope this helps.

BURT150

Ill post some up tomorrow john.

Its very simple to do. Its just undoing a bolt puting a washer on then doing it back up. Easy peasy!

Ill try and get before and after shots.

BURT150

Heres a couple of picys bit late i know :roll:

I used two 50x6mm m12 washers and an odd couple for the rears. the vx ones are tapered so they pull it up the corect amount.

Now i know this works as a fix im going to pop in vx tomorrow and get 4 washers and hopefully post some pics up of the proper parts and if its worth it ill put together a how 2.

Attachments

• subframe 004.jpg
    subframe 004.jpg
    113.8 KB · Views: 1,803
  • subframe 001.jpg
    subframe 001.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 1,698
  • subframe 003.jpg
    subframe 003.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 1,511
  • subframe 002.jpg
    subframe 002.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 1,511
  • subframe 006.jpg
    subframe 006.jpg
    184.8 KB · Views: 1,657

JohnnyN

Former Staff
Well done mate. Look forward to seeing the pics. I'm going to have to have a look at mine I think?

BURT150

It'l be worth it.

The way i see it is the engine is supported by mounts in the subframe/cradle and then the cradle is then supported with bushes to the car so if you stiffen up the engine mounts it puts more stress on the cradle bushes so if theres a fix for a couple of quid and half hours work to ensure it all stays tight and keeps a possitive feeling from the front end while driving its a win win. In effect your uprating your cradle bushes.

MikeS

Former Staff
i had same problem on my old 2.2

went around them bolts with a breaker bar - seemed to sort out a few things

cambo

hi,

i see the part number you put up being 90468553 which is £1.93 - but this is classed from vauxhall as a clip?? not a washer?

so where is or what is (where purchse from) that red part ring part that looks rubbery, what is that?

as my car failed mot on front subframe bush, and it looks like the bush is dead.

i wouldnt know how to replace a bush on a subframe / front axle crossmember

but i know 90468609 if £12 from vauxhall - but the mot centre, want to charge me £130 to fix this £12 bush!

i see you have just undone the bolt, put this red thing on, and tigthend it back up, but like say, where is it you have got the red washer from??

BURT150

Ignore the red rubber washer its just something i bodged up. Iv got the washers now and ill post up piccys and a bit more info tomorrow.

herb-16v

i got mine on order my vauxhall round here where saying o we cant order them for you unless we book it in and see how the bushes are looking to see if need changing, i was like OK i will go some where else soon changed there mind so mine come tomorrow

herb-16v

hi i got my washers but vauxhall round here would not tell me what way up they go coz there not doing the work so can any one tell me out of pic 1 and 2 is right please :D

pic 1
DSC00019.jpg

pic 2
DSC00017-1.jpg

BURT150

Couple of pics of the washers.I had to buy mine in a pack of five not sure why!?! but there about £1.60+vat.

Pic 1 is corect herb (y)

Attachments

• 20072011162.jpg
    20072011162.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 1,073
  • 20072011161.jpg
    20072011161.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 1,137

herb-16v

thanks very much mate, i got a bar in and the frame moved alot but it don't now with them in place, good cheap fix :D

BURT150

That might of been why vauxhall was being funny with you they probbably wanted you to get them done through them, charge you for new bushes but just pull them up with the washers instead :wink:

Gotta watch em!!

As long as the bushes arent actualy perished but just got slightly week the washers are ideal (y)

herb-16v

BURT150 said:
That might of been why vauxhall was being funny with you they probbably wanted you to get them done through them, charge you for new bushes but just pull them up with the washers instead :wink:

Gotta watch em!!

As long as the bushes arent actualy perished but just got slightly week the washers are ideal (y)
yer they said will need to be booked in and looked at and if they need changing will come to about £180 for it all to be done so was like no will go some there else that's when he said OK will get you the washers lol £7.67 later and sorted

Gary14

Bloody hell checked mine today looks a lot worse than Burts! frame hanging a good 15mm away from the body, as for the bolt, pulling up through the rubber :eek:
The car has only covered 35000 miles from new. The two front mounts the same, the back ones seem solid. The two back bushes supported by two triangle brackets, so i assume these stop the bushes pulling through the frame.
Will give vx a call am Monday
This has probably been causing my premature steering uj failure notsure.gif

Gary14

herb-16v said:
hi i got my washers but vauxhall round here would not tell me what way up they go coz there not doing the work so can any one tell me out of pic 1 and 2 is right please :D

pic 1
DSC00019.jpg

pic 2
DSC00017-1.jpg

Fitted washers to both front and rear bushes today, the middle two were fine, I fiited the washer as per pic No 2 this pulled the subframe further up giving a tighter fit pic 1 left a slight gap? I would suggest trying both methods of fitting the washers to see which gives you the best fit. No movement now, hope this doesnt causes stress elsewhere, car feels alot better when pulling away. Only time will tell if this fix works (y)

Gary14

Needed to sort my wheel alignment after the washer fix, steering wheel slight off centre to the right. Steering wheel was cock on center before the fix, so just check this after fitment (y)