vectra b mods

win.walid

hi..

what is this modification for ( the hole in the front bumper )?? is there any improvement in MPG with this mod .. hope yes !!:D:D

37867_ai293.photobucket.com_albums_mm47_jaycalellvic_IMG_8391.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
yeh better power
the egr system is for better mpg as it allows hot exhaust gasses back in to the inlet but the cars are just a efficient with the egr system disabled

win.walid

Hi
Back exhaust gases contain carbon dioxide (Co2), which is an inert gas and known as combustion inhibitor, so how does it contribute for MPG improvement. If we blank it we prevent Co2 to enter to the combustion chamber and gain better combustion and so better MPG.(n)(n)(n)(n)

corsaZ22se

the egr system has no real bearing on mpg, it is there to help lower emissions by recirculating exhaust gases when at idle or off power. under load it should be shut and not allowing any gases to enter the inlet.

Dave Gilbert

I heard that blanking the egr on the 1.9cdti engine gives a horse or 2 but I cant see how.

Probably just someone full of s**te. And the same for deleting the swirl flaps give hp aswell. (Not that any of this is any use to this thread im just talking s**t now hahaha)

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
the egr system dont run at idle :) the car would run lumpy if it did
the egr is open during long runs to reduce emissions and give better mpg when the inlet air temp is up less fuel can be added to the cylinder charge

pottsey

direct cold air feed straight into the bottom of the airbox,done away with the original 3 pipe .put a 100mm trumpet in bumper then a 76mm pipe to airbox

corsaZ22se

the egr system dont run at idle :) the car would run lumpy if it did
the egr is open during long runs to reduce emissions and give better mpg when the inlet air temp is up less fuel can be added to the cylinder charge

that's what idle control is for! egr will open at idle once engine is at normal temp and after being on power.
any gain in mpg is minimal as the egr is for lowering emissions
most if not all new engines burn more fuel in order to lower emissions by making a cleaner burn and in some cases by injecting fuel in to the exhaust before the dpf/cat.
if egr was to lower mpg then manufactures would have taken a hot air feed from outside of the exhaust manifold so as to introduce clean hot air to the inlet rather than dirty air from the exhaust system via a valve that will soot up and stick/fail at some point.

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
that's what idle control is for! egr will open at idle once engine is at normal temp and after being on power.
any gain in mpg is minimal as the egr is for lowering emissions
most if not all new engines burn more fuel in order to lower emissions by making a cleaner burn and in some cases by injecting fuel in to the exhaust before the dpf/cat.
if egr was to lower mpg then manufactures would have taken a hot air feed from outside of the exhaust manifold so as to introduce clean hot air to the inlet rather than dirty air from the exhaust system via a valve that will soot up and stick/fail at some point.
its just what i read on a vauxhall document about egr systems ""the car would have better mpg with hotter iat""
and as said on the post you disagreed with these cars are just as efficient without the egr ive proved that over the last 8 years by not having one :)

the sai system was also for emissions

""In internal combustion engines, exhaust gas recirculation (EGR) is a nitrogen oxide (NOx) emissions reduction technique used in petrol and diesel engines. EGR works by recirculating a portion of an engine's exhaust gas back to the engine cylinders. Exhaust gas is routed back into the combustion chamber because the exhausted air is much hotter than the intake air. By sending warmer gas into the combustion chamber, the air/fuel mix does not have to do as much work to heat up, and your engine runs more efficiently.""

Last edited:

win.walid

Thanks all for replying:D:D, now I have a clearer picture about egr sys, but I still asking(n) about the effect of carbon dioxide on the combustion process in the engine..

Now I'm going to :sleep::sleep:

corsaZ22se

that's just creative sales banter to make you belive you are getting something you as a driver/owner need to have to save you money. now they use egr coolers to get the gas temp as close to ambient as possible. also inject pig p**s into exhaust. all to save the environment so we can all hug a tree if we want to or not.
blanking egr on the z22se and similar engines is cheaper than fitting a new valve and means no more future valve failure.
I blanked mine on the Vectra and corsa, z22se and x20xev, had dyno runs before and after on corsa with no power gain, no saving on mpg, slightly higher co2 at idle and high idle but lower hc at high idle. that was in my experimenting days after I got told its impossible to get the x20xev over 180bhp n/a. up to 226bhp n/a now. :D and still passes mot emissions, blanked egr, oil catch tank, removed sai, still using a cat though.

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
that was so yesterday's topic lol
next! :)
my old engine in the new astra with the egr fitted is better on the mpg by 4 over the same engine when it was fitted in mine (might be dads driving:))