Vectra 2.2 SRI 150 P0340 Code

Joe2.2

Hellooo, new to owning a vauxhall. Bought a 2.2ltr SRI 150 2002, first reg January not later model with oil injector fix. Can't complain for £800 and a bit of rust around wheel arches and a couple of paint defects.

Car is MOT'd for 6 months and running ok. But engine light has come on. Code P0340 is showing, camshaft sensor?

Timing doesn't seem great as the idle changes from 700 to 1100 intermittently, sits at around 700/800 when I start, run it for a while, short motorway journey and it then sits at around 1000. The engine/chain is not to noisy from what I can tell.

Little to no service history, been told it's had an oil change....??? Not much good if it hasn't had regular ones anyway right.? Has anyone got any advice for engine light? I have a long standing mechanic I've used for years who is going to run diagnostic checks next week. No proof of any work carried out like chain kit replacing, upgraded oil injector's, coil packs or spark plugs.

wouldn't mind spending a bit to bring it back to its former glory, great looking and sounding car.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks!!

corsaZ22se

Early 2.2's did not have camshaft sensors. they use the coil pack for this so at a guess your coil pack is on its way out. only use OEM parts as non genuine ones will fail quick. this goes for all parts on the 2.2 engine. buy cheap but twice.

Joe2.2

Early 2.2's did not have camshaft sensors. they use the coil pack for this so at a guess your coil pack is on its way out. only use OEM parts as non genuine ones will fail quick. this goes for all parts on the 2.2 engine. buy cheap but twice.
Thanks for the advice, mechanic I sent it to advised it more than likely needs a new timing chain and relevant parts, as you can feel the engine rumble while sat in the cab at low revs and it seems to make some noise, coil pack should be easy for me to do, I'll try this, then save some £££ and get the timing chain and relevant parts replaced!!!

Joe2.2

Thanks guys, I will sort this asap. I have also now gained another issue, my car battery/starting? Thought I must have left somthing on as the battery drained. I have disconnected an old amp that was in the boot and taken the fuse out from the wire connected to the positive battery connection, making sure of no parasitic bleed. But I have also seen a separate cable (cable two) that has a 40amp fuse running from the positive I will attach a photo. This cables fuse has bust, but I can't figure out where this goes into my cab, it follows same line as amp cable that I have disconnected and taken the fuse out of. But this one puzzles me, no idea. I have a feeling this may be draining my battery.

Every two days the car runs fine then I get it home and it won't start, recharge the battery and everything is fine again.

Any ideas would be great and can I remove this cable/fuse?

Attachments

• IMG_20190827_192913.jpg
    IMG_20190827_192913.jpg
    334.1 KB · Views: 853
  • 15669306221451367795052785756721.jpg
    15669306221451367795052785756721.jpg
    391.2 KB · Views: 427
  • 15669306449575042948224432490909.jpg
    15669306449575042948224432490909.jpg
    627 KB · Views: 368

Joe2.2

Turns out I also needed a new alternator, all sorted now, thanks for the advice, now just deciding on styling, wheels 17" suspension (lowered, not coilovers), new front bumper, but not a huge fan of the GSI bumper... Decisions/hole burning in pocket already!!!

Joe2.2

When the timing chain kit is replaced ensure the balance chain is also replaced with a new kit and as corsaZ22se mentioned above use genuine GM parts otherwise you will be spending again. :)
Also bene told to make sure I get the kit with the wider oil nozzle as this is what caused issues regardless of regular servicing??

KevinH

The genuine GM part numbers for the Z22SE chain kits are:

TIming Chain Kit - 55570337 (includes the updated oil jet and the latest revision timing chain tensioner from the Z20NET)
Balance Chain Kit - 55563405

It is also prudent to purchase a new crankshaft oil seal ring for the oil/water pump cover (90571925) as once the cover is removed they have a tendency to leak if not renewed.

Hope that helps. :)

Last edited:

corsaZ22se

No problem with the old oil jet or tensioner if serviced regularly with correct oil. at least every 5000 miles. and 10w40 oil. mine made 117,000 miles still no rattles or any other faults. only came off for more power upgrades/flowed head.
Later z22se's also had a larger oil pump fitted.
My GM timing kits came with new oil pump seal and gasket plus all the hardware needed to replace. found them on ebay.
I wasn't a fan of the gsi bumper until i found a new one cheap and fitted it then it grew on me. there are splitters around for the stock bumpers, hard to find these days though.