Vauxhall Zafira 2.2 Direct Timing Chain Advice Needed

Hi Everyone,

New to the forum. For the 2nd time in the cars life, the timing chain has started rattling again. I've already had the chain replaced once before, and Vauxhall met half the price, and after just 30k miles more, The Car had a service, including full oil change around 3 weeks prior to the noise appearing again. I took it into Vauxhall and they advised I needed a New Chain and a New Oil Pump, does this sound right? They wanted to charge £1,700 for the work, which is about as much as the car is worth. I'm in the Essex area, do you think I can get it cheaper than this as my only other options sounds like scraping the car now?

Thanks

Mabs

genuine chain kits are on ebay for £250 the pair, dealer price is more than double that, someone local should be able to help fit them

I have a brand new oil pump if you cannot locate one, £200 including postage

£750 is about the max you should be paying for all the work, including parts. Vauxhall labour rate is crazy.

genuine chain kits are on ebay for £250 the pair, dealer price is more than double that, someone local should be able to help fit them

I have a brand new oil pump if you cannot locate one, £200 including postage

£750 is about the max you should be paying for all the work, including parts. Vauxhall labour rate is crazy.
Thanks for this, do you know why they would have said the Oil Pump needs doing as well? Symptoms of the car are, got a slight rattle to start but when the engine got hot, the noise dissapeared. This went on for a few weeks. Now there is a constant rattle from start and it wont stop at all. Also the oil level of my car is no longer dropping like it used to.

Thx

I've tried a few Garages now, and cheapest so far is £900 exc V.A.T :confused: just for the chain without Oil Pump. Vauxhall are now quoting me £1300 for Chain with Pump. Seems local garages are not that much cheaper :(