Unbelivable condition of balance chain and spockets

Rasmus Due

My engine had had some ticking noise for quiet som time but only when it was cold. So I guess it was about time to change the timing and balance chain which I started on the other day. When I opened up the engine I was quite surprised to see the condition of the balance chain and sprockets.
The chain was so loose that it had been running against the engine housing.. but this was not the biggest surprise.. the rear balance sprocket was missing all its teeth. I can teel you it was quiet a struggle to get it off with the engine still in the car but I succeeded.
I'm glad I bought a full kit including the balance sprockets.
All I need now to complete the repair is a new sprocket for the water pump.

IMG_1640.JPG IMG_1638.JPG IMG_1633.PNG IMG_1625 (1).JPG

Last edited:

KevinH

Nice work ! (y)
However the balance chain sprocket teeth will have probably found their way into the sump. :eek:

Rasmus Due

KevinH - I think that the sprocket teeth had been worn off before I bought the car and flushed out at the last oil change. There were no evidence of any metal shavings of any kind in the oil or inside the engine. I even tried to stick a metal wire with a cloth crapped around it into the sump, and still no metal particles were found.

vocky- sent you a PM

patricks

My engine had had some ticking noise for quiet som time but only when it was cold. So I guess it was about time to change the timing and balance chain which I started on the other day. When I opened up the engine I was quite surprised to see the condition of the balance chain and sprockets.
The chain was so loose that it had been running against the engine housing.. but this was not the biggest surprise.. the rear balance sprocket was missing all its teeth. I can teel you it was quiet a struggle to get it off with the engine still in the car but I succeeded.
I'm glad I bought a full kit including the balance sprockets.
All I need now to complete the repair is a new sprocket for the water pump.

View attachment 63628 View attachment 63629 View attachment 63630 View attachment 63631

So that would have meant that one balance shaft would have been spinning and the other not. Was the engine rough and course as all hell?

Rasmus Due

Patricks - When holding still at idle power I could feel a small vibration in the steering wheel. But when I was driving the engine ran smooth with no vibrations.

patricks

Patricks - When holding still at idle power I could feel a small vibration in the steering wheel. But when I was driving the engine ran smooth with no vibrations.

Just goes to show that they actually dont do anything at all and as others have said here the balance shaft delete mod doesnt increase vibration at all.......i really would have thought that one spinning and the other not would have been woeful in driving.....

prolecs

My 'new' Astra Vert with 160,000km on the clock. I took the sump off to replace the oil level switch 'O' ring and found a few bits of black chain guide in the bottom and sucked into the oil pick up. Though I better stop driving and do the chains. Well the bits came from the long inlet side cam chain guide. The rest of it was a handful of bits behind the cover with just the two bolts left in place.
Chains worn but still intact, but groves worn in various spots. But it was quiet running with just the odd tick.
Crank pulley bolt was a buggar to get off as it's an auto, but a large screwdriver wedge in the spokes got it.
Cloyes chain kits from the USA on the way to Aussie. And Gates water pump although the old one looks perfect. Now I know where the oil pump is! Few scratches in the cogs but looks fine.
Better do my old Vert soon, just 100,000km on her.

Attachments

• 20160720_093711.jpg
    20160720_093711.jpg
    118.2 KB · Views: 197