Type R detail (Matt & Sjdickso) ** lots of photos **

Sjdickso

Staff
Civic Type R detail.

Well one of my mates has just bought a Nighthawk black type R. Been just two years old it had seen a few swirl o-matics so it needed a good detail.

Matt helped with the detail so he could have a look at the pc and the rotary.

So off we set both cars loaded with detail products and hardware, and a 50min drive down the motorway.

acdn.z22se.com_userpix_57_IMG_1937_1.jpg

On arrival the car looked fairly clean.

acdn.z22se.com_userpix_57_IMG_1939_1.jpg

acdn.z22se.com_userpix_57_IMG_1940_1.jpg

acdn.z22se.com_userpix_57_IMG_1942_1.jpg

acdn.z22se.com_userpix_57_IMG_1943_1.jpg

acdn.z22se.com_userpix_57_IMG_1944_1.jpg

acdn.z22se.com_userpix_57_IMG_1945_1.jpg

We got all the products out. And started with a pre wash using the sudsblaster gun mixed with CG maxi suds and super snow foam.

acdn.z22se.com_userpix_57_IMG_1950_1.jpg

This was after it had dwelled for a few mins

Matt got to work on the wheel with CG blue wheel cleaner to a ratio 4:1, which did a great job of destroying the brake dust. We both then set on the paint work using the two bucket method the paint was then cleaned using the Schmitt wash mitts.

acdn.z22se.com_userpix_57_IMG_1946_1.jpg

acdn.z22se.com_userpix_57_IMG_1948_1.jpg

The Wheels then rinsed and cleaned with megs wheel brush and megs lambs wool mitt.

acdn.z22se.com_userpix_57_IMG_1952_1.jpg

acdn.z22se.com_userpix_57_IMG_1951_1.jpg

The car was then rinsed with clean water

The car was then fully sprayed using megs last touch detailer and then dried with several WW cloths.

Time for a brew for matt as he was driving & a beer for me! All the products ready to use.

acdn.z22se.com_userpix_57_IMG_1953_1.jpg

Then back to the detail we assessed the car

The paint work was very smooth and the plastic bag test showed that we did not need to clay the car.

I decided that only the front grill would only need taping up with blue 3m tape.

Even though the car was clean it was slightly dull and it had lost it’s luster. The car was covered in small marks, marring and swirls. Due to the softness and thinness of Honda paint getting the correct product and pad was very important.

see the lack of reflection
acdn.z22se.com_userpix_57_IMG_1958_1.jpg

We split the bonnet in 4 and did a small test to find best product. In the end we all decided on poorboys super swirl remover 2.5 with a polishing pad. I started and then let Matt have a go and my friend Danny. Both did not like the rotary and let me crack on with the rest of the car, while Matt got to grips with the PC and DAS polishing pad.

acdn.z22se.com_userpix_57_IMG_1954_1.jpg

acdn.z22se.com_userpix_57_IMG_1955_1.jpg

acdn.z22se.com_userpix_57_IMG_1956_1.jpg

Matt then did a bit of wet sanding and paint filling on the door shuts. This was then machined by Matt with the pc and 4” lake country cut pad.

Matt then did the skirts and front and rear boot with the 4” pad.

The whole car was then complete, and buffed off with several Megs supreme MF cloths.

The GF then gave the car a coat of Megs #7 show glaze. We let this haze and then buffed off again with Megs mf cloths.

We then gave the car a coat of megs #26 Yellow Tech Wax and buffed off a panel at a time.

Matt then used CG Gel on the Tyres. This gave a great gloss finish ( I will be buying some of this) and waxed the alloys with turtle wax extreme alloy wax. I then treated the archers with AG vinyl & rubber care.

The exhaust was cleaned and polished with megs NXT metal polish.

Then we topped off with mothers top coat reflection (what a great product to use) this was then buffed off. One final wipe down and this is then end results. Time taken was 5 1/2hrs with 3 on the car and the GF kept helping with the buffing off and applying the Megs #7.

acdn.z22se.com_userpix_57_IMG_1961_1.jpg

acdn.z22se.com_userpix_57_IMG_1964_1.jpg

acdn.z22se.com_userpix_57_IMG_1966_1.jpg

acdn.z22se.com_userpix_57_IMG_1967_2.jpg

acdn.z22se.com_userpix_57_IMG_1968_1.jpg

acdn.z22se.com_userpix_57_IMG_1970_1.jpg

acdn.z22se.com_userpix_57_IMG_1972_1.jpg

acdn.z22se.com_userpix_57_IMG_1975_1.jpg

acdn.z22se.com_userpix_57_IMG_1981_1.jpg

acdn.z22se.com_userpix_57_IMG_1983_1.jpg

The morning after, with the new wind deflectors.

acdn.z22se.com_userpix_57_IMG_1988_1.jpg

I really enjoyed this detail, it was a good laugh with everyone helping out. I think I may have got Matt in trouble though as I think he wants to buy a PC now.

*** One note though machine polishing can be dangerous even when you think you know what you are doing, I tried to help Matt remove some contaminants on his glass and I touched the window rubber with the pad on the rotary melting it (sorry Matt),

Matt also found that 4” pads fly quite far when the PC is on speed 6 and not touching the paint work LOL his face was a picture***

Ian

Thats a great job guys!!! Looks lush thumbup

I thought it looked clean @ first?? But afterwards!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Matt

Administrator
Had a fantastic time, and I definately want to get a PC for XMAS. The TypeR was a great car to work with as well.

Matt

Administrator
Here are the photos which I took:

Si hard at work with the Rotary
acdn.z22se.com_userpix_2_DSCF2585__Copy_1.jpg

Some reflection shots:
acdn.z22se.com_userpix_2_DSCF2586__Copy_1.jpg

acdn.z22se.com_userpix_2_DSCF2587__Copy_1.jpg

My Favourite :D
acdn.z22se.com_userpix_2_DSCF2593__Copy_1.jpg

Side on view
acdn.z22se.com_userpix_2_DSCF2591__Copy_1.jpg

I wish now I'd taken some more time to get some more photos. Oh well, will get more next time.