Turbocharging Z22SE with Z20NET turbo

PaulSRi03

Hi all. I've got an Astra mk4 with a Z22SE engine I'm going to turbocharge. I've bought a Z20NET manifold and turbo and am hoping to get a Z20NET sump and oil feed lines soon. I'm also saving for piston rings, forged pistons, con rods and reinforced bearings from Dbilas. Not currently sure about an intercooler, was wondering if a NET one would fit in front of the Astra mk4's radiator? Not sure what I'm doing ECU wise yet either...:facepalm:

Anyone on here done this exact conversion? Seen a few posts on here but wasn't exactly clear on whether or not I'd HAVE to bash my bulkhead back, remove my A/C, etc. I'm a complete novice with decent but fairly basic mechanical knowledge and no real tuning knowledge. Thanks in advance.(y)

figo126

ive done it ,, the problem is the ecu,, but there is a smart man from Holland who can use your 2.2 ecu , and let it run your turbo charged engine , and yes you have to get the hammer on the bulkhead,,

corsaZ22se

for engine internal parts you may be better off getting parts from the likes of ZZP or Real Street Performance in USA. better parts at lower prices ;)
Keep us updated with the build.
Dave Gillbert has also done a z22net in the Vectra C

PaulSRi03

Yeah, I'd like to keep my standard ECU just the sake of simplicity and everything else on the car working. Okay, the A/C pipes be alright?

ZZP or Real Street Performance? I'll have a look into them (y)

I'll keep you posted when I get the build started, just gathering parts and planning at the minute haha (y)

Thanks for the replies guys (y)

Rick201i

Yeah, I'd like to keep my standard ECU just the sake of simplicity and everything else on the car working. Okay, the A/C pipes be alright?

ZZP or Real Street Performance? I'll have a look into them (y)

I'll keep you posted when I get the build started, just gathering parts and planning at the minute haha (y)

Thanks for the replies guys (y)
Is the z20net the saab engine or the vectra engine

figo126

its called the z20net when in the Vectra, and called the b207 when in the saab ,same engine , just the Vauxhall Vectra just do 1 option being 175 bhp standard , the saab do 3 , a 1.8 turbo which is a 2.0 detuned 150bhp , a 2.0t 175 bhp and a 210 bhp engine which is in the saab aero comes with different cams ,injectors , and turbo ,,,

Rick201i

its called the z20net when in the Vectra, and called the b207 when in the saab ,same engine , just the Vauxhall Vectra just do 1 option being 175 bhp standard , the saab do 3 , a 1.8 turbo which is a 2.0 detuned 150bhp , a 2.0t 175 bhp and a 210 bhp engine which is in the saab aero comes with different cams ,injectors , and turbo ,,,
Is the z22se ecu mappable to read boost. I heard on the grapevine that someone could download the vx220 turbo software on the Z22se ecu?

corsaZ22se

Is the z22se ecu mappable to read boost. I heard on the grapevine that someone could download the vx220 turbo software on the Z22se ecu?

You can't run the vx220 turbo (z20let) software on the z22se ecu. Mine's on vx220 z22se software mapped for boost. not sure if it would run with a turbo set up though?

corsaZ22se

yes, there is a way with the software courtenay sport use and some other one i believe?
the mk4 astra could be run with a z20let ecu set up and z22yh crank on turbo i guess? or go standalone but you would still need to use a different crank pick up and ring as the z22se is a bit strange and most ecu's use 60-2 rings.

Rick201i

yes, there is a way with the software courtenay sport use and some other one i believe?
the mk4 astra could be run with a z20let ecu set up and z22yh crank on turbo i guess? or go standalone but you would still need to use a different crank pick up and ring as the z22se is a bit strange and most ecu's use 60-2 rings.
Interesting to see how courtney get around it.