Toshiba laptop, Windows 7 boot problem

identiti66

Been handed a Tosh laptop to fix..

The BSOD says UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME
I don't have recovery discs but this laptop should have built in options only I cant get to it.

Tried Windows Repair - doesn't work
Tried pressing/holding 0 and powering on, get to an options screen but there's no restore to factory type option
Can't start in safe mode

Any ideas?

identiti66

W7.. only things I can get to are the BIOS menu, boot order and advanced start options. Then it won't boot to safe mode or anything.. just goes to a blank screen with mouse pointer.

PowR Remap

Remap Services
Trader
Have you got a Windows 7 disk or USB? if not download one and boot off that, then go throught the steps until it asks if you want to install, below that on the left side will be "Advanced options"

Then in the new window type bootrec.exe /fixmbr and bootrec.exe /fixboot

See if that helps, if not then from the advanced options try startup repair...

Although it may be a reinstall of windows needed........ Also make sure you download the right W7 DVD based on whats on the laptop already (x86, x64)

identiti66

Sorry chaps... been awol for a bit..

Got this sorted.. removed the hdd, stuck it in a caddy, finally got my laptop to recognise it so I could format the partition (recovery partition was fine). Lost about 60gig of hdd so I guess that's the duff part.
HDD back in, W7 installed, all working. The laptop owner knows its' lifespan is uncertain.