Tinny rattle at 2k rpm

Razuddin

Right chaps,
My 2003 vectra c 2.2 Sri has started rattling quite badly this weekend. At around 2k and below the rattle is really bad. Since I replaced my flexi pipe the exhuast has sounded quite tinny when pulling off. But this weekend the noise has got really bad.
I don't know what it could be, middle box or back box? If it helps its sounds like its coming from the front. What could it be?

I've seen mentions of Hoffman mid pipes from eBay? Could I get one of these to make my exhaust a bit louder?

Razuddin

Heatsheild wasn't touched when replacing the flexi pipe, but I can get the mechanic to check that in case its come loose

5M1THY

Yeah I would check the heat shield mine sounded like that when it was loose..
The Hoffman race tubes are alright I think I know of a few people who have them on 2.0 and 1.7 diesels so I would of thought it would be good on a 2.2 :)

rushy

The heat shields above the middle and rear boxes do tend to open up round the bolt holes. I just fitted a large washer over the hole and re fitted the bolts. Also the rear boxes are double skinned on the vec C , not sure if its the same on other Vx's, but they tend to rust around the compression joint and the whole outer skin can fall off or rattle like mad. It could just be a coincidence that it started to happen after you replaced the flexie.

Razuddin

Thanks for your tips chap, I asked the mechanic to look into all that. Its turns out the honeycomb in the front box (of the centre section) has broken up inside. The previous owner of the car had replaced the centre section and the backbox in August 2011 so its lasted 3 years. Ive found the centre section for £45 via ebay, same sellers i had bought my flexi pipe from. Its £10 more at euro car parts and I may just go to them as its local and easier in case i need to make a warranty claim.

Question is do i get a hoffman race tube for some noise or stick with the standard centre section? Im worried il get the racetube and itll be too noisy/chavvy! Help chaps, im confused

Razuddin

It would seem that they dont do a hoffman race tube for the 2.2 vectra c :(. Thats made my decision for me, will be ordering the klarius mid section from ebay. I may ask my mechanic to see if he can remove the old mid section box and weld a straight pipe in to see how it sounds

Matt

Administrator
It would seem that they dont do a hoffman race tube for the 2.2 vectra c :(. Thats made my decision for me, will be ordering the klarius mid section from ebay. I may ask my mechanic to see if he can remove the old mid section box and weld a straight pipe in to see how it sounds
For a middle section, you'd just be paying for the name. Any old bit of exhaust pipe would do really.