Timing Chains

adzajg

After reading all the info on timing chains on the site, I checked my service history to look if the dealer had replaced the lubrication nozzle when the timing chains were replaced on my car at 95,000 miles, just over a year ago. on the recipt that i have everything is itemised.

There is no evidence that the nozzle has been upgraded so i got in touch with the vauxhall dealer. I spoke to the service manager who did say that it was unlikely that the nozzle would have been upgraded when the chains were changed, and there is no evidence that the car was recalled in the full vauxhall service history.
He said he would try to trace the part no's that were used for the chains and to give him a couple of days...

I do have a print off of the field remedy 1532 with the correct part no which i thought i would hold back in case the dealer tried to fob me off..
My engine no is 32864 does this mean that it is an early one, the car is a 2001 y reg..
I have checked the bolt on the back of the engine and it does have the slits in to suggest that the tensioner and chain have been modified but after reading about the poor bugger who nearly had an accident when his chain snapped and who stated that his motor did have the upgraded chain and tensioner this does cause me concern.

I know a couple of members have stated that the work has been carried out on the chains but does it state in the invoices that the nozzle has been upgraded, is it in writing??

Has anybody had the nozzle replaced anyway and what was the cost? or worst still does anybody know the true cost of reparing an engine that has had timing chain failure.

My car has now covered 115,000 miles and is going in for a service at my local garage tommmorrow so i will be definetly be asking them to check to see if the chain is well lubricated!!!!

vocky

Staff
the oil jet comes with the timing chain kit

so if they replaced the chain, the oil jet should have been changed at the same time.

it only takes 60 seconds to replace when the engine is in bits, so most likely it was swapped :)

Spike

Hi,

If you can get a copy of the invoice check the part number for the kit that was fitted,it should have been done when they fitted the chain,if not i would pay for them to remove the lower timing cover and check the nozzle has a 5mm hole instead of the old 1mm type.

It costs around £1500 for them to fit a new cylinder head and chain kit if it fails providing the pistons are ok. It the pistons are badly damaged a new engine is £1350 + vat plus labour total i believe to be around £2400