Timing chain probs & solutions, novice attempting

Herbie1.0

Was a bit worried about doing that as when I took the old one out I touched it a bit and it flew to pieces :confused:

Dave Gilbert

I was like that on tuesday, all your marks look right. So id just say wait for carl to confirm what im saying or say im full of s**t either way you want to be safe and get it right.

Herbie1.0

Crankshaft Pulley Bolt 100Nm + 75° + 15°
Intake & Exhaust Sprocket Bolts 85Nm + 30° + 15°
My torque wrench may do the 85Nm although its only rated to 80nm, if not any other way of getting them to the right torque. Also
if I do the crank to where I can with mine and then get it to garage assuming she runs, I could the tighten to 100Nm then couldn't I?

Herbie1.0

Activate the tensioner first before fitting.

Just get it nice and tight, I wouldn't get too hooked up on numbers.

How do I tension it before putting it in?
Also I pulled the pin on the balance tensioner but it doesn't seem extremely tight, will that tighten more whe the oils in?

Dave Gilbert

The balance chain tensioner has a ratchet inside so as long as you cant push it in to far you should be fine, have a look at my thread
failed balance chain tensioner

Theres 2 videos on there , 1 shows it not working and 1 brand new working great.

I think you push on the timing chain tensioner on a hard surface untill it clicks and engages. But im not 100% sure. Have a look on the forum(its got to be here somewhere hahah)

Herbie1.0

The balance chain tensioner has a ratchet inside so as long as you cant push it in to far you should be fine, have a look at my thread
failed balance chain tensioner

Theres 2 videos on there , 1 shows it not working and 1 brand new working great.

I think you push on the timing chain tensioner on a hard surface untill it clicks and engages. But im not 100% sure. Have a look on the forum(its got to be here somewhere hahah)
Ok thnx just pushed the main tensioner and yeh it released. Will look at the balance tensioner now to see if mines the same it is tight and I can't push it back in, just not overly tight.