KevinH

Hi everyone,

I am looking for some advice as I require to change the thermostat on my Vectra SRi 150 because it appears to have stuck open. The gauge eventually starts to move after appx 10 minutes so I am assuming the CT sensor and temperature gauge are working OK.

I rang Vauxhall dealer to enquire how much they would charge for the job and they quoted £115.00 labour plus parts, coolant ..etc (and of course VAT!).
I then thought to myself, 'How difficult is this job?' so I had a look in my Haynes manual with a view to having a crack at it myself and decided to purchase a new thermostat (12622410 - £37.60) and new CT Sensor (15326388 - £10.45) both less discount from Vx dealer.

I have a couple of questions:
Firstly, in the Haynes manual, it says to drain off the coolant release the lower radiator hose - however looking at this it appears very awkward to get to, let alone undo it. What is the best method ?

Secondly, Does the electrical connection to the CTS just simply pull off ?

Thanks
Kevin

Last edited:

IDI AMIN

You could just remove the thermostat housing hold the hose up in the air with housing still attached and replace thermostat that way you dont need to drain all coolant from radiator and you should notice a part on the cts plug that you press to release it then it just pulls off

KevinH

Hi,

I guess that is an alternative solution as there is going to be some coolant spillage either way, as it is rather difficult to direct the hose into a container immediately after disconnection. I will have a closer inspection when I get a chance.
The CT sensor should be a fairly straight forward job then !

Thanks

IDI AMIN

Plus the way i suggest is going to save some time draining and refilling as long as you are outside it shouldnt matter.

MikeS

Former Staff
i did it the messy way

loosen up the stat housing and let it drain for a while then swop over

be mindful any coolant hose movement will cause it to p**s out even more

make sure engine is cold as well as it is very easy to fook the threads up

i then hosepiped around the gearbox and surrounding area in case of any feline friends feeling thirsty

also be mindful that vectra B's suffer with sticky gauges as I found out with my fuel gauge

astra22bertoneauto

My astras and zafira have a coolant drain valve at the bottom left of the rad (see Pic). Check to see if you have 1, may save you bit of a mess...if you have stick a bit of hose on and have fun.

DSC00365.JPG

jwalker

There is a 13mm bolt on the bottom of the water pump which is supposed to be a drain plug, never used it though