CS 2008 The Results

l1ghtn1ng

Was happy with the figures my good old vec hit, especially when i think what she cost me and what I've spent on her (not a lot!). was just curios how my whp was higher than some but flywheel hp was lower. Does that point towards something on its way out like clutch/gearbox?

vocky

Staff
the flywheel figure is a guesstimate, the wheel hp is the correct figure.

my vx220 has 179 wheel hp and 215 at the flywheel, the corsa vxr had 168 at the wheels and 215 at the flywheel :?

l1ghtn1ng

ah so the flywheel is just an estimate and not an actual figure? So the fact that my vec hit 112whp is the real figure I should look at. Good to know :) Cheers Vocky

A Senna

Well 146.9 Bhp and 158.4 Lbft, Im well happy with that and I still got my precat in. I dont know what you lot think but it was quite a healthy amount of torque for a nie on standard engine?

Kanary

notsure.gif I have 155ch at wheel and 177ch at flywheel so. 22ch transmissions loose. For my 4 or 5 rolling dyno, i had always between 22 and 26ch loose.
You have 36hp lose dunno.. It is strange because we have the same car notsure.gif

vocky said:
the flywheel figure is a guesstimate, the wheel hp is the correct figure.

my vx220 has 179 wheel hp and 215 at the flywheel, the corsa vxr had 168 at the wheels and 215 at the flywheel :?

A11VXL

Trader
You will see different losess on different dynos as it depends how the dyno is calibrated to read, ours is calibrated to read at the flywheel and there were 2 standard cars on the road on Saturday one did 146.5 the other 147. You will see different dynos achieving this result in different ways i.e. 6+4 = 10 or 7+3 = 10 the result is still 10.
As a further example of this, my Corsa when standard did 195 on Stephans dyno in Germany, but did 172 at the wheels./ On our dyno the day before it did 194.1 at the fly, however our dyno put it at 156.7 thats loss of 37.4

Another point to consider and further confuse everyone is that the figure shown on our dyno when we are running is the power at the wheels but this is uncorrected to both barometric pressure and air temp.

When ever you talk to various dyno manufacturres about this they all think there way is the correct way. :roll:
However the differance between mine and Stephans dyno and the make of them, confirms that allthough they read the wheel figure differently and the loss's, they both agreed on the calculation to the flywheel .

The point I guess is that it is almost impossible to compare one dyno with another, given that a big differance is also going to be air flow from the fans, not to mention the biggest variable of all the operator :D

I hope this has helped rather than confuse you further.. :?

Jon :D

vocky

Staff
Kanary said:
notsure.gif I have 155ch at wheel and 177ch at flywheel so. 22ch transmissions loose. For my 4 or 5 rolling dyno, i had always between 22 and 26ch loose.
You have 36hp lose dunno.. It is strange because we have the same car notsure.gif

the general rule is 'wheel hp' + 10 divided by 0.9

a standard vx220; 120 + 10 / 0.9 = 145

but they generally have 110 - 115 wheel hp, so 115 + 15 / 0.9 = 145

my vx220 179 + 15 / 0.9 = 215

makes yours 155 + 15 / 0.9 = 189

Lightning Coupé

So really, you can only compare the values of the cars that ran on the day. Otherwise I could nip round the corner to Awsome GTI and get a dyno plot that says ive got 200bhp or use one I have from three years ago when I had a standard motor and reconed I had 186bhp and stick my name at the top of the list. :roll:

If we are looking to try and make sence of what modifications give what power and torque increases and where in the rev band, which is hopefully one of the outcomes of our RR day, we should only consider the results of those cars that ran on courtneys rollers. Weather these figures are acurate or not (but im sure there pretty close) dosent matter because they are directly comparable.

vocky

Staff
thats the problem cheers..

even the same rolling road can differ during the day, bhp figures are just a guide.

look at the total vauxhall power chart page, there has been some wild claims on there :roll:

Kanary

Yes i anderstand Lightning coupé 8)
But i know my dyno is realist because with no mod, i got 147ch. But with around 25ch transmissions loose. Since 3 years always between 22 and 26ch lost dunno..

JohnnyN

Former Staff
We can pretty much assume that A Senna's Car, totally standard Vectra 150, was the benchmark for the day. Standard text book power for a standard car. Everything else can be judged from that one car. I already knew what figure my car was producing because it was run on the rollers 4 times the evening before. My result was 182bhp. This has been a consistant figure at Courtenay.

My car has also been tested at Chipped UK and the figure was around 176bhp. Since then it has had a new 2.5 inch Milltek exhaust system. This would account for the 6bhp increase.

I would say that the figures that we had from Saturday are as near as dammit as you're going to get. The sytem had been undergoing calibration last week and it was perfect.

Let us not forget the 1.8 Vectra that run on Saturday too. This was typical power for the 1.8

:roll:

Sjdickso

Staff
I agrre with Johnny.

Mine ran at chippedUK 2 years ago and got 155.6 and at courtenays this time got 155.8, with just the addition of the remus pipe.

One thing that was odd at chipped UK my torque my main torque was at 4750RPM and was 168 at Courtenay main torque was at 5250 and was 161.

slindborg

people also NEVER take into account that their engines wear, which loses power so loads of dynos showing "book" figures on engines that have done 50-100Kmiles is a bit of a laugh really.

you can also have fun by dropping the temperature correction probe into a cup of coffee, watch that power go sky high :D We did a few tests sticking the probe in an ice cream and then next to the exhaust manifold and the power difference was something like 200bhp between them on a 300bhp Mustang lol

the power tables in TV will be inetersting by middle of the year, esp the way nitrous is kinda stealing the top N/A places

vocky

Staff
sort of defeats the object using nitrous :roll:

may as well just stick a 200 bhp jet on the inlet and be done with it :LOL:

slindborg

indeed, its a little bit of a cheat for a RR day as you can dial in the power you want (as you will see with a bog std XE and something like 200bhp jets used from the VS rr day)

I tend to bank on dropping 1bhp per year as it kinda averages out nicely.

Matt

Administrator
Courtenay also checked mine on their new set up, and also ran it on the old set up. Both produced exactly the same figures, 109.6bhp before the re-map.

vocky

Staff
I think the courtenay rolling road figures were all fine, it's just that every dyno will produce a different set of flywheel figures for the same car.

It's best to use the flywheel hp as a rough figure for an engines power.

wheel hp is a better way of showing what an engine is producing, this figure doesn't vary as much between rolling roads.

A Senna

JohnnyN said:
We can pretty much assume that A Senna's Car, totally standard Vectra 150, was the benchmark for the day. Standard text book power for a standard car. Everything else can be judged from that one car. I already knew what figure my car was producing because it was run on the rollers 4 times the evening before. My result was 182bhp. This has been a consistant figure at Courtenay.

My car has also been tested at Chipped UK and the figure was around 176bhp. Since then it has had a new 2.5 inch Milltek exhaust system. This would account for the 6bhp increase.

I would say that the figures that we had from Saturday are as near as dammit as you're going to get. The sytem had been undergoing calibration last week and it was perfect.

Let us not forget the 1.8 Vectra that run on Saturday too. This was typical power for the 1.8

:roll:

I'm pritty happy with my result as it gave me a benchmark for power showo.. , I can now start putting my bits on what I got for it. :D
But I was just looking at the RR table and my car seems to be chucking out a fair amount of torque at 158 Lbft as others are reaching nearly 165 Bhp before reaching this notsure.gif
and mines pritty standard apart from remus centre section. :)