That's it, no more fiddling

techieboy

I made the schlep over to Courtenay's again today for some more tweakery on my supercharger conversion having been stuck on an artificially low rev limit since the original conversion. After Vocky built me two low compression engines (I killed one at Silverstone), with uprated internals, I'd lost a fair chunk of power and was "only" running 243bhp.

When it was dyno'd a couple of months back as part of a post rebuild health check, I was running a custom Piper 2.5" system and the TMS manifold along with Saab Aero camshafts. Turned out the cams weren't a good match for the SC and/or engine as they didn't give any extra power and just increased the back pressure in the supercharger. This left me a little downhearted at the expense and the lack of power that I now had in comparison to the original higher compression conversion. In this spec, I was running 243bhp and 219 ft-lbs of torque and was finding the rev limit increasingly annoying.

I've recently fitted the 3.0" Tullett SC system and manifold and last week Vocky beat the well trodden path to my house to fit the Comp Cams blower cams that I managed to pick up from another member. Not knowing what kind of effect they might have had on the fuelling, I took it easy on the way to North Walsham. First order of business was to get the car on the dyno to see what was what. So, with the original map that I've been running, the Tullet system and the blower cams it immediately delivered 268bhp and 225 ft-lbs of torque. :D

Next job, get the rev limit raised to 7,000rpm (it was capped as my fuel pump was on it's way out when I had the original conversion) and give it another run. This time it was pumping out 285bhp and 235 ft-lbs of torque and looked like it was still climbing. :D :D

At this point, the standard tubby injectors were getting pretty close to their limits. So we decided to go ahead and fit Astra VXR injectors. As these were going on, it seemed rude not to fit the smaller 2.9" pulley to the supercharger. Turned out to be a four hour job to get the new one on and involved nearly everyone at Courtenays and an oxyacetylene torch to finally get it back on. So, another map gets squirted on to the ECU and we run it up on the dyno. Now we're cooking on gas. 298bhp and 250 ft-lbs of torque. Was quite a warm day, so on another day that's probably the 300bhp broken. May have been possible to extract a little more as the fuelling is slightly rich but would rather have that bit of safety. :D :D :D

Here's the chart showing the original run from a couple of months back, plus this mornings first and this afternoons final runs. Forgot to get the one in the middle for the 285bhp run. :roll:

ai211.photobucket.com_albums_bb157_techieboy_vx_back_to_back.jpg

Thanks to Vocky for his unending patience and his continual tinkering. Thanks to all at Courtenay's who continue to look after me and the car. And thanks to all of those of you, who've convinced me to keep the faith over the last 6 months. chinky chinky

Drakey

That's awsome, wish I'd have known, I'd have come and seen the beast, i'm off work and only 5mins away.

techieboy

We didn't know the final numbers until about 5:30pm. 4 hours of grief trying to get the pulleys on and off meant less time for experimentation. On the +ve side, the new pulley is modular so that any other sized outer sections can be fitted easily. On the -ve side, the 2.9" pulley is about as small as we can go without having to machine the end of the snout. :confused:

Bit more detail on the final run here
ai211.photobucket.com_albums_bb157_techieboy_vx_final_run.jpg

Matt

Administrator
That is such a smooth power line, and all that torque almost instantly, all the way across the range drool.gif

techieboy

Matt said:
That is such a smooth power line, and all that torque almost instantly, all the way across the range drool.gif
Yeah, it's obscenely easy to drive as it's all so linear. No surprises mid corner when a big wodge of torque suddenly comes in. Will be interesting to see how lively it is in the wet now. Previously, I really had to drive it like an idiot to break traction. But, now.....

JohnnyN said:
That is outstanding Matt. The dyno graphs look great!
You're welcome aboard anytime but you'll need to sign a disclaimer, as I don't want to be responsible for any further holes in your bank account.

I'm off to Silverstone in a week and half for a trackday and just hope I don't kill this engine, like I did at the equivalent day last year. Am seriously tempted to overfill the engine oil slightly this time around although this engine doesn't appear to be burning any oil, thank God. :confused:

Matt

Administrator
Hope you are taking a camera with you, as it would be great to see it going round a track driven as it was build to be driven

techieboy

Oh yes, most definitely. Have also got a new data-logging setup that I need to wire in this weekend to do a virtual dashboard overlay on the video. In theory, at least. notsure.gif