Tensioner - how stuff works

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
Hi, Your name was forwarded to me by Persia-Chris regarding a timing chain replacement. I hope to have a Vectra B 2.2 SRi 2002. 56K on the clock, FSH by Vauxhall dealer, one owner, excellent condition. No record of a timing chain replacement on record.
There is so much negative chat about the 2.2 timing chain. Is there any way l could check the timing chain before buying the car? Is it essential to get it done asap after buying it?
It is a nice car, but concerned about the failure rate of the chain.
I am in Dorset. Do you do the job in a day?
Hope to hear from you soon
pm sent :)

Quick question what's the point in having to activate it before you fit it why not have it in the box activated lol or am I missing a point somewhere

Last edited:

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
Quick question what's the point in having to activate it before you fit it why not have it in the box activated lol or am I missing a point somewhere
gm recommend fitting the tensioner unactivated but activating it while fitted in the engine but due to miss activation or none activation of the tensioner with it installed in the engine
we recommend fitting it activated that way when people who do their chains and don't prime the oil system 1st before starting the chain won't jump the exhaust sprocket when the engine fires and the tensioner is waiting for the oil pressure to get to the tensioner

Fitted it activated and all well thanks I've fitted a chain kit in the past after it jumped about 4 teeth upon starting one morning but it had the old type with it and it always rattled on startup so will see what it's like in the morning now fingers crossed

yes that should be correct, however any old tensioner should be replaced with the later spec z20net tensioner
Hi there I have a zafira b 2.2 05 plate 77k on the clock and the timing chain is noisy/rattling.do u think it could be the tensioner, as when I bought the car it hadn't been serviced for a while. I had it serviced asap had the engine flushed and oil treatment added to the new oil hoping it would quiet it down but that didn't help. Do u recommend if I get the tensioner replaced to use the z20net tensioner? If so do u know anyone that could do this in the Plymouth area please and how much it's roughly goin to cost. Any help much appreciated.

figo126

might be worth a try , but id get the lot done just to be safe , on a 2005 should a z22yh engine ,I found a few cheap genuine timing chains on ebay , all depends on your plans if you are keeping car or not ,

figo126

its the guides that fall to bits with lack of servicing , could be the tensioner if you can get one on its own??

nrbrtbjcs

Hello, really very helpful all these information,
I have a dismounted Z20net tensioner, I would like to ask, on the tensioner body is a hole for the oil input, is this input connected to some valve ?
or it should be free and air/oil should go through this hole without any resistance?
I tried to press air through this hole and it is closed, time to time I have issue that my engine is rattling, usually when it is cold, but sometimes just from nothing the rattling start and than disappear.