tapping noise

Andy Coupé

for a while now ive been getting a tappin nosie on start up and not always a cold startup!, it will last for about a minute then go but can then be heard slightly for another minute under acceleration in low revs then it goes completely. I first thought it could be one of the belts or the chain as this was where i thought the noise was coming from. A neighbour said it was a tappit but ive had noisy tappits on other vxls and i know its not that. Now when i took it in for tracking a few weeks back i got them to listen to it. he reckons its the manifold gasket or a slight crack in the manifold. has anyone else experieced this?

Mark Dj

Former Staff
I would have thought it be the tappits also, I know my old Vectra had a slight blow from the exhaust and that sounded tappity. So it is possable it may be your exhaust. Hope you get it sorted ok :)

Mark Dj

Former Staff
I don't know how to explain it, it's just gaps in the exhaust gasket that make the noise where the air is escaping from lol. My old Vectra sounded like a dumper truck as a few manifold bolts had snapped in the head so I had air coming leaking the manifold. It can sound like a tapping noise when blowing as the Vectra did. It still may be some other problem yet. Hope you get the problem solved soon :). Try putting your hand down the back of the manifold only while it's cold, and see if you can feel any air escaping :wink: