tapping noise doing my head in now

kinglarry001

i have always had a tapping noise from my vec b engine. like diesal/tappets. but i have changed the tappets. got new chain/oil nozzle. there is no crack on the exhaust manifold. new chain tensioner.

i am totally miffed at what it could be notsure.gif

has anyone got any suggestions at what it could be?

cheers

kinglarry001

the sound is coming from the rear of the engine.

i got a mate to listen to it earlier, and he does think it is the tappets!! to be honest, it does sound like them. but i had them changed 2 weeks ago!!! all the old ones seemed to have been getting enough oil. what else could be causingf the lifters to "tap"? my mate was asking about a gap or something between the lifters and the camshaft. is there a spercific gap?

francav

block your back box off to check ur manifold for about 5 secs, u will tell a difference if its your manifold, if not maybe wear on your cams, does the car run ok.

MikeS

Former Staff
the tappets usually gum up and are filled with carbon deposits

there is no effective treatment other than replacement or refurb

it has been known just to use different oils until you find one that works best

on the c20xe engine there was howto guides on removing the tappets and cleaning them out cos it was such a common problem

on these engines i have not yet come across a temperamental tappet

kinglarry001

francav said:
block your back box off to check ur manifold for about 5 secs, u will tell a difference if its your manifold, if not maybe wear on your cams, does the car run ok.

dont have enough feet!! quad exhaust lol i have felt round the manifold when the engine was running, didnt feel anything

kinglarry001

MikeS said:
the tappets usually gum up and are filled with carbon deposits

there is no effective treatment other than replacement or refurb

it has been known just to use different oils until you find one that works best

on the c20xe engine there was howto guides on removing the tappets and cleaning them out cos it was such a common problem

on these engines i have not yet come across a temperamental tappet

we put new tappets in a couple of weeks ago and it was like it straight after. no change.

i have been using 10w-40. should i try using a thinner one?

MikeS

Former Staff
so replacing the tappets made no difference ?

have you checked your spark plugs for any sign of damage or contamination ?

francav

kinglarry001 said:
francav said:

dont have enough feet!! quad exhaust lol i have felt round the manifold when the engine was running, didnt feel anything

could be from underneath your manifold, but it does sound like a head problem, your are getting oil to the cams arnt you, the eghaust cams have problems on these engines getting blocked up and running dry.

kinglarry001

MikeS said:
so replacing the tappets made no difference ?

have you checked your spark plugs for any sign of damage or contamination ?

nope. waste of money that was! lol

spark plugs are fine, checked them.

kinglarry001

francav said:
kinglarry001 said:
francav said:

could be from underneath your manifold, but it does sound like a head problem, your are getting oil to the cams arnt you, the eghaust cams have problems on these engines getting blocked up and running dry.

i felt underneath the gasket with the engine running (did it when it was cold so had a little time to feel around)

yeah, i think we did. the bloke changing them didnt say anything about lack of oil. to me (an untrained eye lol) they seemed fine.

BURT150

Could be a sticky or damaged valve lifter? If the sound your hearing is definatly internal in the head?

kinglarry001

BURT150 said:
Could be a sticky or damaged valve lifter? If the sound your hearing is definatly internal in the head?

what are they when they are at home? they the thspring things you can see or the arm thing that goes across the tappet and the spring thing? if that made sense notsure.gif