Suspected timing chain problem

The main timing chain tensioner, how do you activate it/preload what ever you want to call it lol. Someone on vectra c forum said to just put it into some clean engine oil and keep pressing it till its hard to do then its activated. I thought you had to get circlip out which i cant do with circlip pliers and twist the bit inside clockwise or anti clockwise i dont remember and put back together then press it with a blunt lever from down behind chain and rail when finished. And for the life of me i csnt get the chain to line up to the 3 marks when i put balance chain on. Got inlet sprocket at 12 oclock, exhaust at 6 oclock and crank at 6 oclock.

The main timing chain tensioner, how do you activate it/preload what ever you want to call it lol. Someone on vectra c forum said to just put it into some clean engine oil and keep pressing it till its hard to do then its activated. I thought you had to get circlip out which i cant do with circlip pliers and twist the bit inside clockwise or anti clockwise i dont remember and put back together then press it with a blunt lever from down behind chain and rail when finished. And for the life of me i cant get the chain to line up to the 3 marks when i put balance chain on. Got inlet sprocket at 12 oclock, exhaust at 6 oclock and crank at 6 oclock.

vocky

Staff
I always activate the tensioner out of the engine, simply press it down on a piece of wood and it will extend.

Is this after youve left it to soak in oil so its hard to push in and out because at the moment theres no resistence in pushing in and out

Its a new tensioner and can be push in and out very easy, ive just soaked in oil and now its hard to push in and out. The old one i took out has like a spring reaction when i press in, in haynes it says to unclip circlip and take apart to turn inner piston screw clockwise until it locks and refit out tensioner assembley! I cant even get the circlip out as the pliers keep slipping out when i squeeze together lol. IMG_3922.JPG

figo126

don't undo it just push it down, I activate mine fitted I put a long screwdriver down the exhaust cam side of the timing chain and push it until it springs back ,,,,,,,

Are these spot on for balance chain? The 12 and 6 oclock marking are from the engine block as the engine tilts back slighty yes so its level with the ground 12 and 6 oclock.

IMG_3937.JPG Where does this bolt go on timing chain cover, 2 of these bolts one under water pump cover but stumped as to where i took other out from cover

In this photo the yellow arrow is the same as the bolt in the photo above, the red arrow is small bolts so is the blue arrow the same bolt as the yellow arrow?
awww.digitalhiatus.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk_vx_ewp_19072008039s.jpg

Cheers, thats the missing one then but need to work out which one i missed around cover lol. Thanks again for today and coming to double checking

Yeah cheers figo and vocky, who ever had done timing chain cover before had only put 9 bolts in and the long one i put in where i showed the blue arrow. So its a trip to a scrap yard tomorrow and get another bolt before putting sump back on tues and testing car

Kb1974

. There is a long boltthat could be taken out near the sump Iirc its the center between sump n gearbox.

I remember taking it out when i did my engine swap n it wasnt need to be removed

Cheers for that, i put them bolts in a jar when i took sump off same as i did with timing cover just didnt count how many i took off doing cover. Who ever had done it before left one out so off to scrap yard today to get one.

I think the crank is out causing pre ignition as my new spark plugs i out in after timing the tips have gone! This causing the irratic running and not idling right?