Suspected timing chain problem

The main timing chain tensioner, how do you activate it/preload what ever you want to call it lol. Someone on vectra c forum said to just put it into some clean engine oil and keep pressing it till its hard to do then its activated. I thought you had to get circlip out which i cant do with circlip pliers and twist the bit inside clockwise or anti clockwise i dont remember and put back together then press it with a blunt lever from down behind chain and rail when finished. And for the life of me i csnt get the chain to line up to the 3 marks when i put balance chain on. Got inlet sprocket at 12 oclock, exhaust at 6 oclock and crank at 6 oclock.

The main timing chain tensioner, how do you activate it/preload what ever you want to call it lol. Someone on vectra c forum said to just put it into some clean engine oil and keep pressing it till its hard to do then its activated. I thought you had to get circlip out which i cant do with circlip pliers and twist the bit inside clockwise or anti clockwise i dont remember and put back together then press it with a blunt lever from down behind chain and rail when finished. And for the life of me i cant get the chain to line up to the 3 marks when i put balance chain on. Got inlet sprocket at 12 oclock, exhaust at 6 oclock and crank at 6 oclock.

Its a new tensioner and can be push in and out very easy, ive just soaked in oil and now its hard to push in and out. The old one i took out has like a spring reaction when i press in, in haynes it says to unclip circlip and take apart to turn inner piston screw clockwise until it locks and refit out tensioner assembley! I cant even get the circlip out as the pliers keep slipping out when i squeeze together lol. IMG_3922.JPG

figo126

don't undo it just push it down, I activate mine fitted I put a long screwdriver down the exhaust cam side of the timing chain and push it until it springs back ,,,,,,,

Are these spot on for balance chain? The 12 and 6 oclock marking are from the engine block as the engine tilts back slighty yes so its level with the ground 12 and 6 oclock.

Yeah cheers figo and vocky, who ever had done timing chain cover before had only put 9 bolts in and the long one i put in where i showed the blue arrow. So its a trip to a scrap yard tomorrow and get another bolt before putting sump back on tues and testing car

. There is a long boltthat could be taken out near the sump Iirc its the center between sump n gearbox.

I remember taking it out when i did my engine swap n it wasnt need to be removed

Cheers for that, i put them bolts in a jar when i took sump off same as i did with timing cover just didnt count how many i took off doing cover. Who ever had done it before left one out so off to scrap yard today to get one.