Starting isues!!

BURT150

Ive got a problem lol! Hopefully some clever peeps can shed some light on or suggest possible solutions.

Every time i start my car it only just starts as if its drawing more out of the battery than the battery can give if that makes sense.

Its had a new battery 75ah instead of a 60 and a new starter motor. Ive checked all the voltages with it running and everything on and the alternator keeps up well so its puzzling me a bit.

The lights always seem dim after a start and take a few seconds to brighten up.

Im thinking of putting an isolater in for when im away and its left standing at my works. At least then it cant run down.

Are battery jackets a good idea in this weather?

And im also thinking about changing the cables to something a bit more manly!

Its a z18xe astra bertone.

Never had this trouble with my old z22se vectra :( Be it minus 20 or 40 degrees it always started first time without flinching lol

Daz

Former Staff
What are u showing across the battery with the engine running?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Daz

Former Staff
Thats a good figure. how about from back of alt to a good earth

Daz

Former Staff
I'd clean up all ure earth points and see how it goes. Dont think its the same issue i had on my coupe. As you wud only have around 13.5 at the batt with the engine running.

BURT150

Ill get and have and have a look at them thanks daz. Its anoying cus the batt,starter and alternators fine but its still weak.

The last thing i want is it letting me down in this weather!

Daz

Former Staff
Is that a typo in ure last post. Did yiu mean 14.5?

Daz

Former Staff
Yup. Sounds like the regulators gone. and u may i have the issue i had as ure losing a volt between alt and batt. Get the alt sorted 1st but u may have to replace ure batt cables

BURT150

Can you get the regulators for them or like a repair kit?

I think ill have to sort out a day and then put new cables in.

Daz

Former Staff
The issue with the cable is high resistance in them. I bet if you take it for a drive and the touch them they will be hot.
I,d just stick another alt on there as in all honesty.

BURT150

All sorted now! Was a bit tight and had a rummage down the scrappy! Found a decent alt for 20 quid got myself a new belt and some cable ends for 20 quid and swoped the alt made some new cables and jobs a good'un! It starts confidently every time and all my voltages are good. Will get myself a new alternator when funds are permitting lol. Thanks again for the help.