SSL

Matt

Administrator
I've spent some time this evening setting the site up to work behind our SSL certificate.

99% of the site will show the secured padlock in the URL bar

upload_2013-10-16_22-33-48.png

However, there will be times when people have posted links to 3rd party sites which we have no control over, and they will be serving them via the standard HTTP protocol (such as signatures)

upload_2013-10-16_22-35-40.png

It's entirely your choice if you want to use the site via SSL or HTTP (it's not something I'm going to force).

Matt

Administrator
I'm going to leave this running for a few days and see how it pans out. This has really only come about due to Chrome and Firefox blocking access to the Reply box when browsing the site over SSL.

Matt

Administrator
Ok, so after looking at this all morning, I've chosen a different way to go about this.

I'm forcing HTTP for the forum, as there is no benefit in using HTTPS/SSL on here.

The shop is forced HTTPS as this has sensitive information handled in there.

rik1083

yeah annoying thing about ssl
you could probably rewrite the links that people post or in signatures to proxy them through your server (I see you're using nginx which would make it a lot easier :D) but it's probably not worth the hassle :)

Matt

Administrator
you could probably rewrite the links that people post or in signatures to proxy them through your server (I see you're using nginx which would make it a lot easier :D) but it's probably not worth the hassle :)
Yep, that would have been another option. The main problem is the CDN set up I've got. I have our own SSL for our domain, but having it on the CDN means using their shared SSL (and relying on their DNS etc).

Matt

Administrator
This is actually a new feature in the latest version of XenForo now ;)