Spanner light/ engine dies.

Need help please. Ongoing problem... 2.2 Direct 06 plate. Car starts and runs fine however if we park up, say to go shopping, when returning to the car it moves a few yards, spanner light comes on and engine dies.. Also if in stop/start traffic, the spanner light comes on and again the engine dies. In both situations it will not restart. I have learned that if I pour water over the fuel pressure regulator and then use my OBD reader to clear codes, the engine will start and run ok, until stop start traffic or we park up and it all starts over again. Odd thing is no fault codes are ever present. Last year I changed the fuel pressure sensor as that threw up a fault code. Vauxhall wanted £300 for a new regulator valve last week!!!! I borrowed one but problem remains, I also tried a new high pressure pump and fuel rail with injectors. Still problem remained and still no codes.On Friday I got Vauxhall to put their diagnostic tool on it and again found no codes, checked ECU`s etc, (£100 gone).... At a loss now what it could be...I have read on here about the engine temp sensor causing similar problems?? How would that be so and could it be the problem??
Many thanks. Pete.

milo

Cheap obd tuners will not read the fault that car and spanner light brings on. U need opcom or go to dealers to read the fault. They'll be a fault code stored and until u do that I'm afraid it's just a guessing game.

Cheap obd tuners will not read the fault that car and spanner light brings on. U need opcom or go to dealers to read the fault. They'll be a fault code stored and until u do that I'm afraid it's just a guessing game.
Yes, Ive been to Vauxhall and even they could find no codes...I`ve bought a temp sensor to fit this weekend.

Is it just turning over like there's no petrol? I had my coilpack go twice and I knew exactly what it was the second time. Now got GM and all good :)

Up date. Fitted the new temp sensor.. Went out Sunday to a usual farm shop, no light on this time. (Sunday). Going home got caught in heavy stop start traffic, 10 mins or so then, eventually the spanner light did come on but engine kept running for 5 mins or so, then it did die when I was between traffic lights. (Before it would have not lasted more than 5 mins in those traffic conditions). Did my usual, pour water over the fuel pressure regulator area, used my OBD to clear codes, although there are not any. Light goes out, engine starts and all was good, and got home ok, even then traffic was still stop start. I cant understand, why pouring water over the regulator area can enable me to put the light out and start the engine, if I do not use water I can not clear the fault until I do use water... Something is heat sensitive I think, which is why I thought it was the regulator at one point, but changing it did not solve this issue. As coil pack is on top of the engine, water doesn't get on it so there is no cooling effect on to it so I am assuming it isn't a fault with the coil pack? Baffled.
Any ideas at all please?

vocky

Staff
can you post a photo of the part you pour water onto, just so we can try and identify anything else in the same area

can you post a photo of the part you pour water onto, just so we can try and identify anything else in the same area
Hi. Here is where i pour some water. Directly over the fuel pressure regulator.
Thanks.
IMG_20170509_170442.jpg

vocky

Staff
Just a normal style solenoid valve, these do tend to overheat when faulty.

Might be worth trying a different spare valve than the previous one you tried.

This used to happen to me in Manchester city centre sat in idle traffic..
It's defo a good idea to change that regulator with a new one I have no more problems now not too sure about pouring water on it though.

Just a normal style solenoid valve, these do tend to overheat when faulty.

Might be worth trying a different spare valve than the previous one you tried.
Thanks.
Sadly i cannot access another one to try and Vauxhall quoted £300+ for one!!!. Madness. Will try 2nd hand or even after market.. Thanks again. See what occurs.

KevinH

Regulator, Pressure, Fuel Injection, with gasket - 95507060 (supersedes 24404015)

The MRP for this part is £138.43, so £300 seems rather excessive.

Doubt it. The stores guy was the one who lent me one to try. This was Vauxhall in Cheltenham. At least i hope not, £160 for a 10 minute job!!.

Having been unable to purchase a new regulator anywhere, I located a small company that recondition them. Paid £75 and fitted the one they sent out.( Returned my one to them for exchange surcharge refund). Had no further problems since.