smokey Z20NET

Andy76

have had trouble with the vec with it smoking.
well yesterday thought we were going to solve prob with smoking(burning oil) on the Z20NET so new air filter,oil filter, fuel filter,ngk spark plugs, mobil 1 oil, the o2 sensor, was changing the exhaust temp sensor but for some reason the new one is twice as long as old one so was a bit unsure so did not fit but going to change it today.

so changed all this and now it;s idling fine but now even more smoke than before even when accelerating.
im realy confused and so was my mechanic mate.
phone vx and a saab place e.c.t and each one said they have never had such a prob with theese engines.
so could it be the only part thats not been fitted yet thats causing oil to burn through exhaust ?
also why would it start within a week of having a new ss exhaust fitted
so heres a vid b4 it started smoking like within a week

WTLDX[/media]...eature=related]
...eature=related

heres a vid of before parts got fitted

0wgYEnYNADk[/media]]

and how it is now

ssi4JPLAEAs[/media]]

anyone got any suggestions on what i should do next, things to check e.c.t

astra22bertoneauto

<cough> <cough> :D yep shes a smoker lol

could be a mixture of things like piston rings, valve stem oil seals etc. was the old plugs coaked in oil? I doubt the sensor will cure the burning oil problem.

Also im not sure if you have an oil feed to the turbo to lubricate the bearing or not. Someone else on here will know thou. If it does like then new turbo :eek:

blue se2

yep could be oil seals in the turbo gone

how much oil have you put in? stupid question but i had a customer once that filled the engine right to the filler cap with oil :eek:

Andy76

it takes 6ltr but put 5 in her.
also plugs were dry, had compression test and thats fine.
no unusual bang e.c.t, all power is there

Matt

Administrator
blue se2 said:
yep could be oil seals in the turbo gone

how much oil have you put in? stupid question but i had a customer once that filled the engine right to the filler cap with oil :eek:
Yowser! How much extra did they put in to actually FILL the engine??

sdbutler10

fill complate with oil lol,
sounds like turbo seals mate, get a new tuerbo on it or remove the old one and send it off to turbo technics and get it rebuilt.

Mark Dj

Former Staff
To me it looks like a Turbo fault, looks like the seals have gone. A recon one would be the cheaper way around it, I would have thought. If you have plenty of money get a new one. Hope I never get this problem with mine. Good luck and let us know how ou get on.

Andy76

cheers for help peeps, was hoping it wasn't goin to be the turbo but o well i suppose i had to have engine trouble one day out of all the cars iv'e owned :(

Andy76

well Picked my turbo back up today after getting it recon'd due to seal & bearing damage, but got an advisory with it that states i have an engine problem wich says has caused this damage(smoking exhaust, burning oil) suggest breathers to be stripped and cleaned and oil return pipe the same , if not then it will void my warranty on my turbo(Z20NET)

so anyone done this before/ know the locations of the above items as turbo is going back on car sunday and cant realy afford to have it smoking again well not when iv'e quit anyway lol., also done oil change,all filters, new turbo gaskets,bolts e.c.t plus 2 new censors.

larrysSRI

Im interested in this thread.
My Edition 100 2.0t Vectra has recently started smoking, more noticable when decelerating.
Ive been told to check for blocked pipes and filters etc but not sure what ones to check.
I have only recently changed the oil and filter and before this it did not smoke?
I used 5w30 longlife fully synthetic as stated by vauxhall.

Mark Dj

Former Staff
Clean out all the breather pipes, make sure the oil is nice and clean / new. If all that is ok and the recon turbo is fitted then all should be good. I can't think of nothing else to check off the top of my head. Hope all goes to plan 8)

larrysSRI

Right guys, just tested all for cylinders from drivers side to passenger side and they were around 220kg or 15.5 lbs as indicated on the dial in the pic below so im guessing that its all healthy
The car has used bout half a litre of oil in the last two weeks so there is obviously something burning the oil.
Where are the breathers that i need to check are not blocked?
Sounds to me like it could be the seals in the turbo as the performance has not altered but the car is smoking.

Compresiontest.jpg

MikeS

Former Staff
with it burning oil like that at idle then your plugs will show signs of contamination if it is stem seals / rings

otherwise your turbo seals are leaking and 5/30 is like water

larrysSRI

MikeS said:
with it burning oil like that at idle then your plugs will show signs of contamination if it is stem seals / rings

otherwise your turbo seals are leaking and 5/30 is like water

Plugs are all dry and not coked up so im guessing im looking at the turbo?

larrysSRI

MikeS said:
yep

any signs of oil contamination in the air intake & boost pipe

Aint checked them yet.
As the smoke has only started since I have done an oil change with 5w30 oil, do you think it was running a thicker oil before?
If i change the oil to a thicker one thats acceptable for the engine could this reduce the smoking?

MikeS

Former Staff
it is the bearings and seals in the turbo causing to blow out oil if it is your turbo

how much oil did you put in when u did the change ?

your compression is a tad high as well but it all depends on how you did the test ?