Slack chain, timing out?

VekseeSRI

Hi,

I'm going to replace my chain soon as I get a constant rattle, hesitation and lack of power. I'm putting this down to the chain being stretched and timing out slightly.

Question.. when i take the old chain off, the cams are likely to be in the wrong position. How do I know where to line the cams back up? Can I simply adjust each cam a little to match up with the new sprockets when the new chain is attached?

Also, someone told me the tensioner needs to be oil fed before startup, engine cranked over a few times without firing. Is this true??

Thanks in advance!

jwalker

At the gearbox end, the lobes on the exhaust cam should face 1 o'clock and 11 o'clock on the inlet cam. Once the sprockets are on, you can move the cams slightly if you need to with a spanner to get the chain on.

If you buy a Vauxhall kit you should have the newer Z20NET tensioner (https://z22se.co.uk/shop/z20net-tens ... urer_id=11) and all you need to do is activate it first by pushing down on a hard surface before fitting, no need to crank the engine.

Last edited by a moderator:

vocky

Staff
just reset the cam timing as per the Haynes manual or the drawings in the sticky section of 'cam chains' on here (y)