Signum wiper mechanism.

HarleyPete

Well last night was a very interesting one. Left work to head home with the wife and stopped at our local Tesco Express to pick a few bits up. Sat there with the engine running and the wipers going on intermittent waiting for the wife when, suddenly, the near side wiper goes clunk against the offside one and stops. So I get out and try to see why (spline gone, nut loose, ????), can't see why so I think I'll get home okay as my side is still working. Gets back in the car and then, clunk, my side stops as well. Manage to drive home in light rain (only a mile fortunately) and park up. This morning I strip out the various bits and see the problem. The arms have popped off the ball joints. Try to pop them back on and realise that the plastic cups were broken and won't stay clipped together (due to the grease drying out in the joint). Quick call to a mate and off we go to the breakers, where, after checking about 8 cars (all of which had either one or both link arms missing) I find a '57 plate with a complete mechanism which looked like new. Unbolt it all and head to the counter where the guy charges me a princely £10. On top of that I bought a new cabin filter and a wiper arm puller from local auto factors, total cost, £29.62 with the mechanism. Gets home, fits the new bit and re-installs the wiper arms. So all now working again, but, here's the joke of it all, total saving against a new part (with the fuel I gave me mate for driving me there and back) £90.78, yep, VX wanted £117 + VAT for a new bit (without the motor as well).

HarleyPete

Tomorrows bit of work is to sort out the alignment (was starting to get cold and wet when it was fitted earlier) as it's a little bit out (wipers go down before going up, lol).

KevinH

You should have been able to just pull the wiper arms off the splines without needing a tool. They must have been done up very tightly as last month I put new set of arms on mine and they came off easily enough.

Typical that the mechanism fails during winter time ! :rolleyes:
Nice job though Pete. (y)

HarleyPete

Mine are on splined tapers so they stay put, plus they've probably been on there since the car was built. You right as well, it's amazing that they failed less than a month after my MOT, lol. I suspect that the fact two of the ball joints were dry probably didn't help as well. Been out today and re-aligned it all and they're spot on now.