Z22YH Sick Signum.

Ferdens

Hope somebody can help with this problem.
I have a 2004 Signum 2.2i Z22YH.
Car has a rough idle.
Slight hesitation when pulling away and no power until about 3000 revs.
Runs great on the motorway until you have to stop and then it stutters as you speed up again.
If I turn off the engine when it's hot then restart about 10 minutes later, the spanner light comes on but no error code.
It has had a recon HPFP, new coil, new plugs, swapped fuel regulator, swapped Maf.
Convinced it was the "squirrel" flaps so obtained another manifold with working flaps and swapped them over. (Stripped and cleaned starter motor while I was at it).
Still no difference.
The exhausts are sooty so may be running rich.
My son has the same model and his pulls like a train.
Anybody any ideas?

vocky

Staff
have you had the timing chains replaced ?

They can stretch with age and also can cause poor running.

KevinH

As mentioned above, if the mileage is approaching 100K and the timing chain has not been replaced, it is likely to have stretched or possibly jumped a sprocket tooth and this could be an issue, as on the Z22YH the exhaust camshaft sprocket has a timing sensor (on the Z22SE the timing sensor is imitated by the ignition cassette).:)

It is prudent to have the balance chain changed at the same time. (y)

Ferdens

Thanks for that but surely if it had jumped a tooth, it would affect the whole rev range and not just under 3000 revs. No problem above that, drives and accelerates ok. Don't think it's mechanical, was thinking sensors somewhere.

HarleyPete

evocarlos would be able to confirm this but I'm sure that a stretched chain or even one that has jumped a tooth would affect the acceleration below 3000rpm. Above that it is probably not an issue as timing for ignition is probably fully advanced/retarded.

vocky

Staff
I have not done a YH chain for a while, but the last one had simialr problems and it cured the lumpy-ness at low revs.

As above the chains do stretch over time and this throws out the timing very slightly, the YH seems to suffer much more then the SE when the cam chain stretches.

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
the yh has a cam sensor once the chain get to long the sensor causes a non start condition and if left can lead to damage

i repaired one last weekend that had been left far to long and lead to 8 bent valves but look at the length of the chain vs a worn one 109k miles poor servicing
WP_20160813_12_44_34_Pro.jpg

WP_20160813_15_51_46_Pro.jpg

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
it was a z22yh the "direct"
well if you have no codes and you have changed the common items to fail at a guess the timing may be out but its very hard to say that it is with me sat here behind my laptop :)

Ferdens

Update.
Driven about 20 miles then stopped at the chippie for about 10 mins.
Started the car and drove about 20 yards then the engine cut out and spanner light on. Wouldn't start again until I left it for a couple of mins.
Another 20 yards and it does it again.
Managed to get it home then checked with opcom in the morning.

P0400 - Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve Malfunction
(62) - Present

P1191 - Fuel Pressure System Malfunction
(52) - Not present

Egr valve is blanked off but still connected.
Fuel pump has been reconditioned by Evolution.
Any ideas?
Thanks in advance.

vocky

Staff
I know that the HP fuel pump causes the same issues on a MINI, so there may be a problem still with that.

However it would be best to wait for the next fault code before jumping to a conclusion.

HarleyPete

Have you had the fuel pressure regulator done (apologies if you have already mentioned this)? There was a recall/field service remedy for this which was in conjunction with the HPF pump.

Edit:

I see you have swapped the fuel regulator but was this for a new or second hand one? Could it be that, if it's a second hand one then it's faulty?

Ferdens

Have you had the fuel pressure regulator done (apologies if you have already mentioned this)? There was a recall/field service remedy for this which was in conjunction with the HPF pump.

Edit:

I see you have swapped the fuel regulator but was this for a new or second hand one? Could it be that, if it's a second hand one then it's faulty?
Hi. Swapped the FPR with

Edit:

Hi. I have ordered a new FPR and sensor. Hope this works as I an running out of ideas and money.

HarleyPete

It was just a thought, as maybe, if the swapped one was second hand then that one might have developed a fault leading to the low pressure and potentially causing the issue you reporting. Here's hoping that the new one will solve the issue mate.