Shift cable bushing play

sinisa97

Recently changed all the gear selector bushings with the repair kit of the e-bay but still experiencing the left-right play in the shift selector. Went and recorded it and I can see that the gear selector no longer has the play bu t the left-right selector cable has some play near the gearbox. Could it just be the yellow cab on the end of the selector cable that has the play in it or it's something within the gearbox itself.

Opel Astra Bertone 2001, z22se.

chu

Perhaps your issue is unrelated, but I experienced an annoying play in the shift selector myself immediately after buying my car. This was the solution that fixed the problem for me:

https://www.instructables.com/Vauxhall-F23-Gear-Stick-Lever-Shift-Selector-Unit-/

If you scroll down on the website they describe the cause as following:
The nylon bush within the gear shift mechanism wears causing excess movement and gear shift faults.
Within the gear shifter unit is a nylon plastic bush which rotates on a ball joint. Over time the soft nylon wears leading to excess movement on the ball joint which manifest itself as excess play in gear selection. This excess play allows the gearstick to move up and down inside the mechanism leading to a loose feeling when selecting gears or can even make it difficult to select certain gears. Previously the only solution to this issue was to replace the entire gear shift assembly as the bush was not available as an individual part.

Hope this might work for you!