Service Items

DeanoVIP

Hi all,

Can I just clarify some of the parts required for a service and whether I need geniune as a must or other brands are just as good?

- Oil, what grade would you recommend the car has just hit 100k.
- Spark Plugs, any paticular brand for this car or requirements?
- Filters I presume, air, pollen and fuel? For the air filter are pipercross or K&N Panel fitlers worth it?

Thanks all.

KevinH

I personally use genuine GM parts where possible (but that's me).

I would recommend using a fully synthetic oil - 5W30 or 5W40 (GM Dexos2 5W30 5L - part # 93165557)
Oil filter - part # 12605566
Oil drain plug washer - part # 3536966
Oil Filter Housing Cover Ring Seal - Part # 12580255
The recommended spark plugs for this engine (Z22SE) are the GM triple electrode - part # 9199038 (they are actually made by Bosch part # HLR8STEX)
Fuel filter - part # 25313359 along with 2 fuel filter clips - part # 90542453 as they tend to brake on removal.
A K&N panel filter is a good choice for replacing the standard paper element.

A decent place for genuine GM parts is AutoVaux (https://www.autovaux.co.uk) - they don't list all available parts so give them a call if you can't find everything.

Hope that helps. :)

KevinH

For the Z22SE the GM air filter part # is 93192883.
The K&N panel filter part # is 33-2213

If you gave AutoVaux your registration or VIN number they should be able to check it as they have EPC.
Also you can usually check the compatibility of the required part # on their website to the model (or engine code) of your vehicle.

Hope that helps. :)

Last edited:

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
i stopped using them after the 1st 20k after 2 sets fitted then went to the ngk platinums they stayed in for 50k :)

KevinH

i stopped using them after the 1st 20k after 2 sets fitted then went to the ngk platinums they stayed in for 50k :)

What was the reason for switching to the NGK PTR5A-10? ....running issues, the change from NA to SC or just didn't like them.

I notice that Haynes also list (apart from the triple electrode) Champion RES9PYP4 for the Z22SE, which are platinum too but I've not known anyone who has tried them.
The NGK LTR6B-10T are triple electrode, the same as the GM ones, but I believe they run slightly cooler.

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
What was the reason for switching to the NGK PTR5A-10? ....running issues, the change from NA to SC or just didn't like them.

I notice that Haynes also list (apart from the triple electrode) Champion RES9PYP4 for the Z22SE, which are platinum too but I've not known anyone who has tried them.
The NGK LTR6B-10T are triple electrode, the same as the GM ones, but I believe they run slightly cooler.
bosch dont make very good spark plug imo and when ever they were in 10k was about the best mileage i could get out of them i ran the platinums for 50k before the car was charged then when i put the charger on i fitted a new set there still in the engine now be it in the spare astra
spark plug tech has moved on so why stick with the old style plugs :)
pic
left 49k ish miles right 0miles
WP_001398.jpg

DeanoVIP

Cheers Carl, Maybe next time around I will give them a try. I noticed the ones i removed were labelled NGK R from what I can see and the car had a more abbrupt power delivery but now feels a more placid but smoother power flow.

KevinH

The GM triple electrode spark plugs are just fine for a normally aspirated Z22SE. I'm using my fourth set at 114K miles and if you read through some of the threads on the forum here, many members have tried other plugs but ultimately come back to the GM ones - you won't go wrong using them. (y)

Last edited:

KevinH

I have had a K&N panel filter fitted since 15,00 miles without issues and I'm not suggesting they increase power but they do seem to help the engine 'breath' easier as many owners have commented.

I believe a lot of people think you can just replace the standard paper air filters with a K&N panel filter and forget about it, but that is not the case. You are meant to clean/wash them and re-oil every 50,000 miles (as recommended by K&N) but I've done mine every two years regardless of mileage. :)

Last edited: