Security Codes

Hi Guys,

Has anyone made any effort to recover security codes without having to go to vauxhall for the car pass?
I've searched the forums but cannot find anything, I think I may have some usefull information but it would be good to have a look at some ECU bin's from other members cars to be sure it works every time.

milo

I need my security codes as well. But I'll bite the bullet and get vauxhall to get them

I can get the code myself from the ecu using a cheap mpps clone from eBay.
I wanted to know if anyone had disused how to do this yourself on here.
I needed to do this because I removed an ECU which had been cowboy fitted by swapping the ECU, immobilizer and key chips from another car. I didn't know this and went to Vauxhall paid for the codes and what do you know, it didn't work!
I then managed to get the original car vin number from the ECU but was told I couldn't have the codes for this car as I don't have a V5 in my name for the ecu donor car. This was very annoying because I couldn't even get a refund for the useless carpass.
So I looked through the ecu bins for my car which I have the original ecu and carpass for and searched the hex code for my security code. I found the security code in 2 different offsets on 2 different ecu bins (they are both linked to my car with the same security code but have different software versions)
I read the flash on the new spare ecu and looked in the same place and hey presto! The security code is there in the same
place. I have now reset this ecu and reprogramed it with my security code and vin number with opcom.

I will post some pictures and a tutorial on how to do this if anyone is interested.

Vauxhall/Opel

Astra/Vectra/Zafira/VX220 (Z22SE Engine Only) Security Code Recovery

By Dan Price

clip_image002.jpg

Open OP-Com and select Automatic Vehicle Identification from the Diagnostics Menu

Then click on Diagnose ECM

clip_image004.jpg

Click on Programming

clip_image006.jpg

Click on Reset ECU

clip_image008.jpg

This first stage is only to test that the connection is working properly and that the ECU is reporting the correct info.

We don’t have the security code yet so I have entered 1234 to show what happens if the code is incorrect.

clip_image010.jpg

OP-Com reports incorrect security code.

If the ECU has already been reset, it will accept any code and report that the ECU has been successfully reset.

Now we need to find the security code from the ECU bin.

If you already know how to use OP-Com and are confident that you have a good OBD port connection you can probably start here.

clip_image012.jpg

Connect your MPPS to the computer and to the car OBD port,

Turn the car’s ignition on but don’t start the car.

Select the make and model from the list as shown above.

Click on the “Ecu Id” button or press F1

clip_image014.jpg

You should now see your ECU information in the ECU data box and the Read and Write buttons will now be useable.

Click on “Read” button or press F2

The program will now read your ECU and ask you where to save it.

You should now have a 512k bin file that you can open in a hex edito
clip_image016.jpg

Open the ECU bin file in a hex editor, I used Hex Editor Neo

clip_image018.jpg

Your security code will either be stored at offset 0x40aa or 0x60aa

If you go to ofset 0x40aa and the hex code is all ff’s then go to ofset 0x60aa instead.

clip_image020.jpg

The security code is located in the hex code and as it needs to be a 4 digit number we use the 2 hex values ie “12” and “34”.

You will also notice if you look at the above image, the cars VIN number and ECU software version and Engine code are stored just above where the security code is located. This makes it a little easier to track down the correct location the the hex code.

This ECU bin has the hex values “98” and “17” stored and offsets 0x60aa and 0x60ab, so the security code for the car in 9817.

Its that easy!!!

clip_image022.jpg

Now we can reconnect OP-Com and reset the ECU with the correct code, or connect to the immobilizer to perform immobilizer programming functions.

clip_image024.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure of the pictures are going to work. I can't seem to post word documents as an attachment so I just copied and pasted the document here.
Any suggestions on another file format to post the tutorial in?

I bought mine years ago. It's a MPPS v12 clone. The software and instructions to get the software working came with it on a CD.
The ones for sale at the moment are v13 but they are still compatible for reading and writing to the Z22SE ecu.
I first got mine to get an ecu from a vectra to work in my astra. And it worked great to read my original and overwrite the vectra ecu so I didn't get all the cooling module errors.
The original files are on chiptuners website if you want to have a look at them.

Here's a link to a v13, the guy has lots of good feedback and says its posted from the UK

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=161281947480&alt=web

Here's a link to one that looks identical to mine, says it v13 but the CD in the picture says v12

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=230919474468&alt=web
Both should be compatible.
And they all come from China so I wouldn't bother paying a bit extra in the idea it might be a bit better quality.

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
cool thanks
i have an ecu in the bat cave thats been sat there 7 years but i dont have a code or the other parts for it so this may help get me a working spare :)
and to clone the current ecu :)

PowR Remap

Remap Services
Trader
That software does exactly what mine does, but I am able to read and reset codes from all the ecu's and radios, airbags etc etc..

Not sure if it will read the full ecu though Carl, I was thinking about this but I have no spare ecu to play with.

I think it reads the full ecu, but only writes to the data area which contains the maps and other data for different modules.
I have a vectra ecu which I wrote the data from my astra ecu to and it's runs the engine perfectly, but I had to use an opcom to change the vin number and match the ecu to the immobilizer.
But with this information you can recover the security code for any ecu which will in turn allow access to the immobilizer to add new keys or install a new ecu or use a non reset ecu (which you can pick up for about 10 quid) as a spare or project ecu.
I have 2 spare ecus for my car now, all of them are matched to the same immobilizer and key chips so they are plug and play.
The idea now is to start modifying the maps and see if I can still get the car to start!
That should be fun. :-D

im not worried about the map part just want to get it working :) for £12 its worth a try :)
Let me know if you have any problems setting anything up.
Will be nice to see how many spare ecus turn up and become useable for experimenting with :)
I'd love to be able to do a full DIY supercharger conversion one day :-D
And still have a spare standard ecu to throw on a spare engine incase things pop!