SAAB 2.2 Hybrid engine build

alanoo

honestly I doubt you could port a z22se head up to the level where it would get the full benefit from +1mm valves, but on a Saab head... I'm sure it can be done.

Like on your SC setup, your restriction now is most likely the exhaust ports and I bet you can free 15hp or more (and safer ones) with an extreme port and exhaust flange rework

2-20

vocky said:
the standard saab valves are much better than the z22se,plus the exhaust are sodium filled too :D

Do you mean much better in term of quality, shape, material etc... or do you mean bigger (+ sodium filled exhaust)

nickb777

2-20 said:
vocky said:
the standard saab valves are much better than the z22se,plus the exhaust are sodium filled too :D

Do you mean much better in term of quality, shape, material etc... or do you mean bigger (+ sodium filled exhaust)

They are the same size but designed for the saab turbo engine therefore are better at heat management I will get JimV to send me a template from his 4-1 manifold so I can port my head out, Love the flow you should get through yours Vocky, better get the dremel ready again..

vocky

Staff
if you are porting a z22se use a standard gasket for the size, if you are porting a saab head then use an Alfa gasket and make the port size approx 2mm smaller all round than that gasket (y)

vocky

Staff
picked the block up from the engine shop yesterday :D

started to assemble the new bottom end and realised that the saab oil jets and wiseco pistons were going to touch due to the longer throw of the 2.2 crank (n)

So I had to dismantle the bottom end to gain access to the oil jets, I ground down the sides and modified the mounting lug, this gave enough clearance for the rods and piston (y)

after installing the pistons, rods, crank, craddle, sump, flywheel, clutch etc the next job was fitting the 'balancer delete' delete, I kept the balancer crank sprocket because it's hardened steel and I didn't want to weaken it with grinding or machining it smaller.

So with the new bottom end built up I installed it into the engine bay :D

Attachments

• SAM_0473.JPG
    SAM_0473.JPG
    559.1 KB · Views: 711
  • SAM_0474.JPG
    SAM_0474.JPG
    489.6 KB · Views: 725
  • SAM_0476.JPG
    SAM_0476.JPG
    800.5 KB · Views: 727
  • SAM_0477.JPG
    SAM_0477.JPG
    766.3 KB · Views: 717

alanoo

Is the water hose rubber ? Looks like a bit close to the exhaust manifold for rubber, silicone would be better notsure.gif

vocky

Staff
I made it out of several vxT coolant hoses, hopefully it should survive ok, but I suppose it could get lagged dunno..

vocky

Staff
a couple of pics of the saab/lsj/z20net oil cooler

Attachments

• SAM_0479.JPG
    SAM_0479.JPG
    797.6 KB · Views: 620
  • SAM_0480.JPG
    SAM_0480.JPG
    562.3 KB · Views: 620

vocky

Staff
I collected the repaired head today :D

close up of the valve seat machining for the GM racing valves

valves fitted

head fitted to the block

almost finished, soon be time to start it up :D

Attachments

• SAM_0483.JPG
    SAM_0483.JPG
    562.3 KB · Views: 648
  • SAM_0482.JPG
    SAM_0482.JPG
    577 KB · Views: 658
  • SAM_0484.JPG
    SAM_0484.JPG
    654.6 KB · Views: 677
  • SAM_0486.JPG
    SAM_0486.JPG
    796.3 KB · Views: 696
  • SAM_0487.JPG
    SAM_0487.JPG
    672.9 KB · Views: 660

vocky

Staff
thats easily answered....

I built the head, fitted it, fitted the cam chain, checked the vernier cam timing, fitted the oil pump, fitted the crank pulley, fitted the alternator belt, fitted the crank sensor bracket, fitted the throttle bodies, fitted the loom and finally the complete exhaust in under 5 hours :wtf:

vocky

Staff
Today I filled the engine with 7 litres of oil and then cranked it over until there was oil pressure. Next I fitted the plugs, coilpack, fuel pump relay and it started first time :clap:

Attachments

• SAM_0492.JPG
    SAM_0492.JPG
    807.1 KB · Views: 561

vocky

Staff
just to update this thread, after Webcon mapped the engine it's simply stunning to drive, very quick and lots of torque 8)

with the balancer chain deleted and lightened flywheel fitted the engine revs very quick :D

cologne

@ vocky
your work shows great

wich oil jets = nozzle pstn oil, do you take for piston cooling?
few time ago I am searching them and i found two:
…gm#12791255 for the 2.0 lsj = sc
…gm#12596230 for the 2.0 lnf = turbo

were are the differences?