Reverse engineer ECU

positive

By changing specific parts of the firmware. The modification can be achieved with a simple hex editor, but you have to have a tool to upload the altered binary.

Rick201i

What software are you using.i binned my aircon. I mean everything lol I want to remove the software as well.because if the car is sat idling for along time stationary the little fan light switches on when the fan kicks in. I also want to bin the egr as it's not needed and the rear lambda. We don't have the software at work .I'm a tech at ford.

oznek

Yes, it is possible to flash another firmware. There's no need for the TECH2.

Thanks for your reply. I actually have tried flashing my MY01 Z22se ECU with MY03 w/o EGR firmware( 09391273 Ver.8--->12586913 Ver.1). Untortunatley, it won't work. Firstly, the ECU's firmware version is tied to car's VIN (check here). It is not possible to have my MY01 to pull MY03 firmware out of GM's SPS program. Secondly, I managed to find a VIN (from here) with similiar configurations to my real VIN and finally pulled out the MY03 firmware then flashed it into ECU. But it is not possible to get into the Engine Diagnosis menu via TECH2. My TECH2 simply replied there is no applicable management system to run. I tried two times with different VIN and all failed. However, if I tried flashing the ECU with MY03 with EGR version of firmware(12210443), I can access the Engine Diagnosis menu. So strange!

So I think for pre-MY2003 Z22Se engines, disable EGR by flashing GM's factory no EGR firmware is questionable. I only have Carprog(can do partial ECU dump but no writing) and TECH2 here, so I guess my experiment is over.

Last edited:

positive

I'm not familiar with TECH2, but flashing the ECU with different firmwares is definitely possible. As you can see I used one where the EGR was disabled. https://z22se.co.uk/threads/reverse-engineer-ecu.28943/#post-1256117
The VIN section in the firmware is at 0x4000 or at 0x6000. After flashing the new one this section will be rewritten with the VIN and some other info of your car even if you delete the whole part before the upload.
Try to acquire an MPPS. ;)
If you have access to these firmwares please send it to me. I'd like to investigate as many as can. Thanks.

Rick201i

I'm not familiar with TECH2, but flashing the ECU with different firmwares is definitely possible. As you can see I used one where the EGR was disabled. https://z22se.co.uk/threads/reverse-engineer-ecu.28943/#post-1256117
The VIN section in the firmware is at 0x4000 or at 0x6000. After flashing the new one this section will be rewritten with the VIN and some other info of your car even if you delete the whole part before the upload.
If you have access to these firmwares please send it to me. I'd like to investigate as many as can. Thanks.
You can flash mine if you like and turn it off lol

oznek

I did read about yor progress on disabling EGR. Have you found a way to completely remove it or the EGR must remain connected?

ZakhooiTM

TISExplorer.PNG
What software do you need :D

ZakhooiTM

For getting the EGR off with a Tech2 up the year to 2004 in the VIN (W0L0TGF4825083014 = 2002 W0L0TGF4845083014 = 2004)
Then go through the SPS process as normaly, with the Tech2 make sure you select 2004 or higher, else you get the No Engine Management message.