Remote programming

patricks

Hi, needing to program a used but genuine gm remote to my car. I have the following to work with:

Original genuine key with genuine chip that’s starts car but won’t activate the central locking
  1. Used remote from another compatible astra
  2. Another new key with new virgin chip
  3. Opcom version 1.45
Now im hoping im able just sync the used remote with my old original key/chip by inserting both into the ignition and depressing both buttons at the same time without having to use opcom. Is this possible??

If I do have to use opcom whats the easiest and safest way to go about getting a key that starts my car and works the central locking with the parts that I have listed above. I really mean the safest way because I don’t know how to use opcom and the last thing I want to end up with is my old key no longer starting my car

Hoping u don’t mind me tagging u HarleyPete but I know that u have done this or something similar before…………

Thanks in advance

HarleyPete

You will have to program the new key to you car with OpCom in order for it to work. The old key will only work if it's previously programmed to your car. Basically once programmed the chip inside (either a separate or soldered to the board) will only ever work with your cars immobiliser/central locking etc. When I got my car I had a spare key that would not work on either the central locking or start it. I tried programming it and it wouldn't work, so I ended up buying a new chip, un-soldering the old one and soldering on a new one (not an easy job). Once that was done I found the relevant programming part via OpCom (think it was under the body section) and followed some instructions I'd found online. Once programmed it not only started the car but worked the central locking as well. Providing you are sensible, take you time and don't rush it will work and isn't that difficult. This might help but you probably won't need the car pass if yours is a full can rather than half can.

(Re-syncing fobs is the same as for a Zafira etc. Put key in ignition, turn to position one and press the lock/unlock button a couple of times.This is only if your key already starts the car but remote doesn't work but did (battery change)).

patricks

Yes old key is my ORIGINAL with chip that came with the car new - it starts car but the key went thru the wash and remote section is dead. If i put the compatitible gm second hand remote on my old key can i just resync or do i have to programm via opcom?

patricks

Also have a new key with virgin chip. So i guess my options are:
1. program new key with used remote
2. resync used remote with my ORIGINAL key - is that possible?
3. program new key with used remote together

Thanks for the link and the info HarleyPete

Johnss

You don't need remote to program new key (transponder chip).
Programmed remote works without the transponder chip.

Transponder chip in programmed to immobiliser ecu.
Remote are programmed to central door locking ecu.

patricks

You don't need remote to program new key (transponder chip).
Programmed remote works without the transponder chip.

Transponder chip in programmed to immobiliser ecu.
Remote are programmed to central door locking ecu.
Cheers that makes it much clearer that means I can't stuff up the chip when I program the remote and it's easiest to attach remote to my existing key rather than program both from scratch

HarleyPete

Depends if yours is half can or full can. My old Zafira (51 plate) had a carpass but my Signum is full can and so didn't need one.

HarleyPete

Yes old key is my ORIGINAL with chip that came with the car new - it starts car but the key went thru the wash and remote section is dead. If i put the compatitible gm second hand remote on my old key can i just resync or do i have to programm via opcom?

Also have a new key with virgin chip. So i guess my options are:
1. program new key with used remote
2. resync used remote with my ORIGINAL key - is that possible?
3. program new key with used remote together

Thanks for the link and the info HarleyPete

So the way I see it is that your original key must have a key with a separate chip. The assumption is that your original key would not work if the remote section was dead and the chip was on the remote board (board dead so effectively I assume the chip would be too). So I presume that in order to get that key working again, you would have to replace the board with another remote board and I suppose it could work by re-syncing (never tried that so can't confirm). As for the remaining key you would have to program that one in order for the chip to be recognised by the immobiliser. I know that with my second key it would manually unlock the car and operate the ignition barrel but wouldn't start the car. Once I changed the chip and programmed it via OpCom then it not only started the car but the remote part started working.That being said maybe the remote side wasn't working because the chip wasn't recognised by the immobiliser and once recognised, allowed remote unlocking.

It is possible to have a brand new chip that is faulty and won't program. A I said before, once a chip is programmed to car it cannot be programmed to another car. Which is why I think my second key wouldn't work on the remote side.

Last edited:

patricks

So the way I see it is that your original key must have a key with a separate chip. The assumption is that your original key would not work if the remote section was dead and the chip was on the remote board (board dead so effectively I assume the chip would be too). .

Think we may be getting crossed lines. My original key does work ie starts the car it just wont activate the central locking because the remote pcb is dead. The chip is not connected the pcb.

HarleyPete

Not at all mate, I did say that if your original key started the car and the chip was separate then it may work just re-syncing a replacement pcb remote but I've never tried it so I couldn't confirm (it does say "would not work if the remote section was dead and the chip was on the remote board (board dead so effectively I assume the chip would be too. So I presume that in order to get that key working again (maybe I should have clarified at this point that if the chip was separate), you would have to replace the board with another remote board and I suppose it could work by re-syncing (never tried that so can't confirm).

Your other key by the sound of it would need programming as the chip is not recognised, therefore I would assume that if the chip is not recognised then maybe the central locking wouldn't allow the remote to unlock the car (again, don't know as I've never tried it).
Sorry if my lengthy reply was a little confusing (I see now that it could have been in the lines I inserted above), it's not easy to convey what you mean sometimes in text.

patricks

Sorry if my lengthy reply was a little confusing (I see now that it could have been in the lines I inserted above), it's not easy to convey what you mean sometimes in text.

Nah has more to do with me not being able to read properly ha ha i do appreciate the lengthy reply and the advice just waiting on my opcom to arrive now from flea bay