Reluctor ring position on Z16XER

Hi friends, this is a little bit off topic, but i needed to change flywheel on Z16XER with damaged starter toothing, and this engine has the reluctor ring under the flywheel near the crankshaft seal. I tought that it will only have one position to install, but it can be installed every 180deg. (crank has two locating holes). Does someone know what is the correct position in relation with timing marks?

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
from what ive found online the trigger wheel is internal on the z16xer in the mk5 astra are you sure its the z16xer ?

yes, its Z16XER, its located under the flywheel, A16XER have it internal, but i found out the right placement, on first sight it seemed that it could be placed evers 180deg, but the flywheel bolt pattern is unsymetrical, so there is definitively only one position to fit.
I found some image of the engine, the hall sensor holder is seen on the image also the wire opening, connector is behind the starter. The reluctor itself looks a bit like an oil seal. A very stupid location even if the hall fails.
1565980991399.png

1565981189709.png

Hi,
yes, when cyl 1 + 4 are on TDC, the index pin on the ring is also on top just a little bit right. Exactly like on the TIS drawing. On your images the reluctor is still installed. Its seen on the holes.

Btw. did you hear some bad words on these engines?
Looks like the one i swapped the clutch is slowly going down. On hot 10W40 it has on idle only 0.7bar of oil pressure. I pressurized it thru the blinded oil channels and it seems that the head has massive leakages. Its still running but for the owner it could be pretty bad when the engine lefts him somewhere on road, as this engine also has oil pressure sensor down on lump right after the oil pump, so youre dont know whats going on in head.