Z22YH Rattle/vibration at 4000rpm....

yayoboy

Sorry for delay guys, all done, had to re do the timing tho as must of been a tooth out, took it for a road test and seemed a little down on power and sounded like it had a little supercharger lol, did it again, same procedure as before, but this time all good so I don't know what happened lol! Thanks for all help and advice guys ;)

Last edited:

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
the whining noise was the belt fitted in the opposite direction to how it was 1st fitted it stops after a week once it wears to the new direction :)

yayoboy

Lol, so I probably stripped it down again for nothing :p oh well I didn't take me half as long second time:) ill take it as extra practice :rolleyes:

MikeS

Former Staff
i have a lump of the s**t on my filler cap after 5 mile journeys to work, had to give it a good blast down the motorway to clear it up

personally I rather it sit there than in my air intake pipework as it will simply dissolve

yayoboy

So all good with no vibration then?
Yes ticks over even, and no noise at 4k, tbh the main chain was fine, but when I took the oil pump off was clear as day the balance chain was slack, cause was the oil gallery to the tensioner was blocked with silicone!!!! So the person who did it before was a little excessive sealing the sump :(

yayoboy

Just for my own sanity, firstly the car is fine now, but I'm beginning to think I was paranoid checking the timing again, I think it was more down to the aux belt the wrong way as quoted by carlos making the noise that prompted me to check and set it up again... So my question is for future reference, and for my health lol, if the timing is out on these engines would it be VERY noticeable, ie even just a tooth?

Edit, 1 more thing, the chains didn't cure my noisy lifters, any suggestions bar replacing them? Thanks lads

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
it would run a bit lumpy at a guess i know chris vec that i did the chains on had an s**tty idle up and down 700-800 every 3 seconds
after doing the chains this was cured and the main chain was stretched or it was out 2 teeth as the timing tool would not fit in the cam sprockets

as for the lifter im sure theres an oil additive you can get i would try that before splashing out on new lifters see if it cures the problem then you know the lifters are the parts to be replaced :)
the injectors do tic also
as you can hear in my vid

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
Last edited by a moderator:

IDI AMIN

I would try the wynns one first cause its cheaper but in the end up you are only hiding a problem .
You could end up going the shameless plug method

yayoboy

Ok I'm still getting a slight rattle from the chain at a cold start, literally no more than a second then quiet, is this normal, ie waiting for the oil to prime the balance chain tensioner or have I dropped a b#*lock lol

rushy

I started using 10/40 oil instead of the 5w35 when I got a noisy lifter and that seamed to do the trick. Gen GM 10/40 only costs about £12 from Autovaux for 5L