Z22YH Rattle/vibration at 4000rpm....

yayoboy

As title, no rattles that I can hear at startup, but bang on 4000rpm distinctive, quite load rattle, above and below nothing? The car has done 80k, and has had the chain done at some point prior to my ownership as it has the revised tensioner, plus I had the cam cover off once I got it home from buying it and the chain looks ok/tight. Regardless of this I was going to get the winter out of the way and change the chains as a matter of course, but the question I'm asking is could this rattle at 4k be pointing to the chain/balancer chain, and that I should change them now, or something else? Thanks in advance, sean

yayoboy

Checked that mate, I pretty sure it's the balance chain, just hoping someone has had likewise symptoms to compare against.

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
i've done a zafira b in the past with 75k on that had a stretched balancer chain
not sure on the vibration are your engine mounts ok ?

WP_001154.jpg

yayoboy

Agreed, I'm gonna get the covers of at some point over the next couple of days and take a look then get the kits ordered. Vocky, have you known the shafts themselves fail due to stretched chains?

vocky

Staff
the shafts are quite robust, so are the bearings. I have seen them with no tension and the shafts were fine.

It is a good idea to replace both the chain kits, the cam chain kit has to be removed to access the balancer chain. Also worth replacing the crank pulley oil seal whilst it's apart.

yayoboy

Thanks again mate, yes I will definetly be replacing both chains, and agreed with the crank seal ;) oh well, I was going to do it next year, but the siggy wants it now lol

yayoboy

Ok about to start the chains, couple of qs, firstly, just to confirm, when I'm done, if all has gone right, I should have no chain rattle at all, even on cold starts? Secondly, once chains are on and engine is ready to fire, is it best to disconnect coil and turn engine over to build up a little oil pressure or just start as normal and let it Tickover a while? Thanks all, sean

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
once new chains are fitted balance and main chain the only noise you should hear are the injectors ticking :)
i leave the rocker cover off and once done turn the engine over till i see oil on the chain and the cams to be sure the oil pressure is there
then finish putting all the last bits on and then run till warm

yayoboy

Is it normal for these to have a bit of 'mayo' in the camcase breather pipe that goes to the tb? Please don't tell me head gasket needs doin :/