Project Zafira

Din

Right..

First thing i did was to strip second hand engine of anything that made it large...

ai267.photobucket.com_albums_ii320_mgrover3_IMG_20120702_111930.jpg

Then position the engine in front of the car :)

ai267.photobucket.com_albums_ii320_mgrover3_IMG_20120702_112944.jpg

Then crane it in :D

ai267.photobucket.com_albums_ii320_mgrover3_IMG_20120702_113936.jpg

ai267.photobucket.com_albums_ii320_mgrover3_IMG_20120702_124912.jpg

Half way through putting the loom back on.

ai267.photobucket.com_albums_ii320_mgrover3_IMG_20120702_134506.jpg

And the finnished result !

ai267.photobucket.com_albums_ii320_mgrover3_IMG_20120702_175725.jpg

ai267.photobucket.com_albums_ii320_mgrover3_IMG_20120702_175733.jpg

All that left to do is do up the crank pulley and get some antifreeze for it..

Knackered o_O

Din

Good effort (y)

Yeah...so i thought too :(

Its ok now :)

I shall copy and paste my Rovertech thread reply i just did as i cant be bothered to re write it all now, so Vard is basicly a good freind i met through RT some years ago now and he assisted me (just so it makes sense).

..... well...... it started and ran ok, but with a horrid grateing noise that got louder when you depressed the clutch (n)

So Vard and i decided the only thing to do was to have a look at the clutch :cry:... that meant pulling the engine back out :annoy:

So we cracked on in the p**sing rain, got the lump back out, to find the clutch was fine :| then i had a horrible thought.... i got under the car and found the issue, a small cover held on with x2 13mm bolts had belt slightly on the first fit, and it was "just" touching the flywheel :x needless to say, this piece is no longer fitted :whistle:

Anyway from there on in it all went tits up, took us two hours just to get the engine and box back together (you know when they just wont).. then a driveshaft popped out spilling dexron 3 all over the drive (Vard later layed in it with his hat on, which soaked in and coated his hair completely)... in the struggle we also managed to snap the dipstic tube clean off in the sump :facepalm:

anyway after getting fed up of it last night when it absoulutely hammered it down at 9pm onwards... we gave up.

So this morning (11ish) me and Chris got back on with it, it was finnished by 3pm, it now runs like a charm :) (the video makes it sound crap, it is actually very good, no rattles etc).

So now im knackered, but have a very greatfull wife !

The car still needs a couple of tyres, a backbox (not blowing just outer skin) and an MOT ! oh and a really good clean cut back and polish.

So the only thing left to say is a massive thanks to Vard, the guy never fails to help out, get stuck in and give some moral support when needed, he even booked a couple of days off work to help me out ! i genuinely dont know anyone else that would do that to help a mate out ! So as said thanks Vard from me and the Mrs (y) :cheers:

Video of fire up :)

ai267.photobucket.com_albums_ii320_mgrover3_th_VID_20120704_141948.jpg

Happy Mrs ! (spot Vard :LOL: )

ai267.photobucket.com_albums_ii320_mgrover3_IMG_20120704_143305.jpg

ai267.photobucket.com_albums_ii320_mgrover3_IMG_20120704_143315.jpg

Im going to chill out now for a day, then back to it ! need to get my new Ti finnished :)

Din

Gave it a really good clean today ! cut back, scratches removed or made somewhat better :LOL: peanut buttered the plastic trims etc etc, still got the roof and windows to do... but my god does it look better for it :mrgreen:

ai267.photobucket.com_albums_ii320_mgrover3_2012_07_05200123.jpg

ai267.photobucket.com_albums_ii320_mgrover3_2012_07_05195912.jpg

ai267.photobucket.com_albums_ii320_mgrover3_2012_07_05195158.jpg

Oh and i sprayed the hub caps too (y)

Din

Ok... couple of small... setbacks.

Took it to work today, gassed the air con (thats fine), replaced the numberplates, replaced the front tyres, and got it MOTed.

So issues... the front crank seal is leaking quite badly, im not too fussed about this as its a cheap and easy seal to get at and replace.

Both the rear and center section of the exhaust require replaceing... not blowing but the outer skin on the back box is FUBAR and if i try and remove that the flange on the center section is wafer thin and WILL break..

But the most annoying issue is that the rack is leaking on the nearside(n)

According to what i have read so far, this means complete subframe removal to replace it, also there appears to be about three different types of rack, two brands, one of which has two different pipe sizes.

Starting to get fed up now.. its not that i cant do it, but its more money, more time (which i never have enough of) and just more hastle.

I need to sell the head of the old engine to help fund his now really as its eaten my budget now :cry:

Anyone need a cylinder head ?????

I will put it up for sale once i have inspected it and just made sure its ok, it was running ok bar the horrific bottom end nose before so i reckon the valves etc are ok, i have looked in to what they are worth, obviously more reconned but i just dont have the time...

Hay ho, looks like another busy saturday next week if i can get a rack in time.

Anyone have an idea on timescale for the subframe ? it will be done at work, with ramps air tools available etc, im reckoning an hour and a half to get it out, sound reasonable ?

Din

Right... another long day !

Took it to work yesterday, removed the crank pully and replaced the oil seal, easy tbh, the seal went in by hand and worked ! it doesnt leak anymore so thats a start !

Then unbolted everything subframe wise, left 2 bolts holding it in !

Had to do MOTs all bloody moring (after walking 3 miles to work) :(

But i got straight on it before 13.00... replaced the rack with my ebay £30.00 unit (includeing pump lol), and got it done by 4pm, up and down the road a couple of times to get the steering straight, (needs tracking properly really)... but im almost there now ! niggly things now, should be on the road shortly.

Oh and a new exhaust.... the old one broke big style :( expense :confused:

I am not spending more on it for abit now...

Crank seal leak ?

ai267.photobucket.com_albums_ii320_mgrover3_IMG_20120713_181337.jpg

Removeing stuff for subframe

ai267.photobucket.com_albums_ii320_mgrover3_IMG_20120713_181318.jpg

Subframe out replaceing rack and pump.

ai267.photobucket.com_albums_ii320_mgrover3_IMG_20120714_134914.jpg

Old bits

ai267.photobucket.com_albums_ii320_mgrover3_IMG_20120714_155900.jpg

And done bar tracking and wheel trims

ai267.photobucket.com_albums_ii320_mgrover3_IMG_20120714_155913.jpg

Thats all for now folks..

Din

i share your pain with the engine change....

good work tho :)

Lol, yeah, it would have been alot better if the weather had been as it is now !!

Its not on the road yet, only because i need to tax it and i dont want the next tax being due in January... its insured from the first of August and will be taxed then too ! not long now :)

Din

My bloody Rover 600 decided to empty itself of clutch fluid via the slave cylinder today... second time in 2 years.. i put a seal kit in last time but i presume the bore is shot... orderd another slave for £40.00 delivered... i know i have another 600 turbo but i cant tax that the same month as the Zafira... i hate cars sometimes i really do... constant time and money !

Ah well, this is what you get for not paying hundreds a month for new cars i suppose :rolf:

Ah well, this is what you get for not paying hundreds a month for new cars i suppose :rolf:

I'm paying hundreds a month for old cars mate, never mind new ones ! £250 for 4 tyres, £300-ish for exhaust, £60 for back brakes, £500 replacement engine. Holy sh!t, I hadn't added all this up until now :mad:

Din

Ah yes..... but have you been paying labour? I paid £108.00 for the center and rear exhausts for example, I paid £70.00 for two Tyres. etc, but no labour, things like echausts and threshold are consumables that even new cars require.

Din

Well, it now has a new gearstick gaiter, a full fresh set of six floor mats !! and its been womanefied :cautious:... tatty bear taxdisc holder, random extra mirrors to view kids and all the other sort a s**t mums put in there cars !

The old Rover 45 has gone today !

:(

ai267.photobucket.com_albums_ii320_mgrover3_2012_07_31153934.jpg

(did alot of work on that when we first got it for £100.00 three years ago) its done well really :)

And there is a shiny new tax disc in the window ready or the morning !

May all who er... ride in her... um, ... be lucky :whistle:

Din

Update after a couple of weeks, no issues !

Just gave it a run to bristol and back plus some running about, around 90 miles, ran fine, and ...... It has cruise control !
Still pleased with it.

Din

The water pumps leaking :(

Got a pump and special tool on order for tomorrow... best part of £100.00 :mad:

Just started working for VW though, only two days in so it seems cheeky to blag a ramp tomorrow... gonna chuck some K seal in it for a couple of weeks and hope that stems the flow for a week or two.

Hay ho.