pottsey

so tonight dan came round mine after work to do my rosebushes ,he made it look so easy with the right tool ,out in no time at all .thank you mate really appreciate it
ai293.photobucket.com_albums_mm47_jaycalellvic_20130506_210715_zps79b8bd6b.jpg
and a couple of random pics i took earlier when i popped round mr derrys ,as to how the car sits at the mo
ai293.photobucket.com_albums_mm47_jaycalellvic_20130506_145547_zps2a9daaaa.jpg
ai293.photobucket.com_albums_mm47_jaycalellvic_20130506_144939_zps62573f37.jpg

pottsey

Some new bits arrived today
ai293.photobucket.com_albums_mm47_jaycalellvic_20130509_210543_zps2c2bd19f.jpg

pottsey

popped over to tyes yesterday so he could assist me on fitting the camber shims,should straighten the wheel up and stop the inner tyre rubbing out
think we took 1.5 degree out and a little bit of toe out
never got any pics yesterday just this pic of it fitted between hub and arm
ai293.photobucket.com_albums_mm47_jaycalellvic_20130511_150843_zps571a65ba.jpg
then back to michaels today to fit the powerflex trailing arm bushes and fit arms back to car
so now the whole car has been powerflex polybushed ,new rose bushes
ai293.photobucket.com_albums_mm47_jaycalellvic_20130511_150834_zps7b891e9e.jpg
next job is relocate the battery as this sports one absolutely crap ,had it on charge earlier for a while and it was reading 12v and it wouldnt even turn car over had to jump it .so ive got a battery tray out of the brown vec which is seen in previous pic .ive also got the pump water bottle and tubing for the headlight washers which i got for free

pottsey

well today i drained the oil and took the sump off ,cause when i rebuilt engine i reused the conrod bolts which is a no no as they are stretch bolts .i found this out after reading on here .anyway ordered a set from the shop
all bolts came out only to find the dipstick holder was in solid and wouldnt come out so had to snap it off
awww.vvoc.com_forum_images_smilies_emoticon_0183_swear.gif
,so one step forward 2 steps back as usual .luckily mr derry had some money in paypal and bought another dipstick holder for £15
new conrod bolts in and torqued up ,sump resealed and back on ,thats another job off the list .seems the more i work on the car the more i hate it really have lost heart in it
still left to do bleed clutch ,replace rear caliper as its seized ,top power steering fluid up .buy new battery and cable to relocate to boot ,sort wiring out for water pump for charge cooler ,fit lower grill and bumper ,fit wheels ,also when i refitted the subframe one of the bolts started to shear so need to get that sorted too .also needs wheel alignment done

pottsey

done a swap with the gsi alloys ,always liked these and on the plus side 3 of the tyres are virtually brand new
also fitted the new dipstick holder yesterday and topped oil back up
ai293.photobucket.com_albums_mm47_jaycalellvic_20130601_201205_zps28f1edd8.jpg

pottsey

trial run fit for the battery just need to bolt tray to floor or weld it to floor ,cable in place
will box it in properly as well ,it dont disturb the lift up bit either which is good
will cut that side flap that is up against battery off and box the battery in a carpet it all
ai293.photobucket.com_albums_mm47_jaycalellvic_20130608_151555_zps73c68c23.jpg
ai293.photobucket.com_albums_mm47_jaycalellvic_20130608_151613_zpsa4719618.jpg
ai293.photobucket.com_albums_mm47_jaycalellvic_20130608_151623_zpsf8a68aed.jpg

pottsey

3rd july 2013
well update time car went for mot last saturday and it failed ,i'd spent the last couple of days before hand prepping it ,cleaning and greasing all the brake pipes .any way i guess i must of disturbed the one over the tank as when they went to test the brakes the pipe split .
so monday night i went down mr derrys and he replaced the brake pipes ,left the tank on couldnt be arsed to drop it .just cable tied the pipes to the fuel pipes ,anyway retest yesterday 12 months ticket
battery has been relocated now in the boot so all good there .i'll be taxing it first thing in the morning and driving it to work .7 miles left of running in at 3k rpm then 200 miles at 4k rpm

pottsey

9th july 2013
all run in now ,and the difference in the power is unbelievable removing the balance shafts has made a lot of difference
now the only thing I don't like is the amount of petrol its drinking ,just over 250 miles and ive already put £80 in ,gonna ring jon at courtenays tomorrow see what he says weather I should have it remapped again .but in all honesty I think im done with it now as im fed up spending on it ,what with the high tax £154 insurance £560 and the petrol .this year could well be the last billing for it I can run a v6 cheaper than this

pottsey

21st july 2013
car has now done nearly 800 miles so I gave it an oil change yesterday ,nice to drop the oil and not see it black and the full amount in there that I put in to start with .also the excessive use of fuelling seems to have calmed down a bit now ,but will still get it booked in at cms to double check everything and get it rr
also this morning ive acquired a set of genuine vx astra gsi bonnet vents off ebay for £13
just a dummy run lol
1009823_10151757506008970_1802594032_n.jpg

pottsey

so this is where its upto now
I need to address a noisy lifter now ,get the noise at 3k rpm ive put some wynns hydraulic lifter treatment in it at the weekend ,noise is still there but not so noticeable .so will have the cam out and see if I can free the lifter ,and see what damage its done to the cam
good thing is that I have a another head which I can replace it with if need be

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
so this is where its upto now
I need to address a noisy lifter now ,get the noise at 3k rpm ive put some wynns hydraulic lifter treatment in it at the weekend ,noise is still there but not so noticeable .so will have the cam out and see if I can free the lifter ,and see what damage its done to the cam
good thing is that I have a another head which I can replace it with if need be
glad you got all the pics up eventually they did help when i come to fit my charger :)

The Boost Bus :)

shameless plug said:

Last edited by a moderator:

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
do you reckon it will have done any damage on the camshafts at all ,with no oil getting to the sticky lifters
maybe but the roller rockers are pretty tough you would only have to lift the lid and check the surface of the lobes to see any real damage (see pic)
the issue would be why are the lifter not getting oil :)

top cam ok
bottom cam fkd (oil starvation) :)
23591_4840b4da323b0053a0d569acb90b7a83.jpg

pottsey

im right in saying that if the cam is fkd ,I cant just replace said cam can I as the head will be fkd where the cam has been wont it

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
depends on if its just a blocked lifter or the head has restricted oil flow
the cams float in oil in the bearing so if theres no oil its metal on metal
chances are its just a blocked lifter and when you investigate that any thing else will show during the strip down