Premium fuels

identiti66

Mainly for those running less modified engines I think.. although I'd appreciate input from everyone.

Do you use higher octane fuels and, if you do, what's your preference?

If you don't, why not? Do you feel they are a waste of money, is it purely financial or something else?

patricks

What do u mean by premium? Here in Australia, Holden quote higher power and torque figures for the z22se when using 95 or 98 octane fuel. Base unleaded over here is 91 octane. I do notice a slight improvement in the smoothness of the engine when using it compared to 91. Also helps to keep the engine clean.

identiti66

Premium.. the higher octane (unleaded, in this case) option found at the pumps of most petrol stations (here in the UK, at least).

I've had cars previously that, in spite of running a factory map, have benefited from higher octane (98RON iirc) fuel. And each one 'preferred' a different brand of said fuel.
My Cav V6 would run best on Shell Optumax, for instance (and I would know within minutes if the Wife had put in regular unleaded or non-Shell fuel)
My GSi Carlton (12V) ran best on Esso Super Unleaded.
The 24V Senator was an Esso Super car too.

Just wondered if folks running the Z22SE had similar findings (or not).

patricks

Premium.. the higher octane (unleaded, in this case) option found at the pumps of most petrol stations (here in the UK, at least).

I've had cars previously that, in spite of running a factory map, have benefited from higher octane (98RON iirc) fuel. And each one 'preferred' a different brand of said fuel.
My Cav V6 would run best on Shell Optumax, for instance (and I would know within minutes if the Wife had put in regular unleaded or non-Shell fuel)
My GSi Carlton (12V) ran best on Esso Super Unleaded.
The 24V Senator was an Esso Super car too.

Just wondered if folks running the Z22SE had similar findings (or not).

In a word. YES. I do the same 180km round trip to work 6 days a week. My engine is smoother on 98 and the fuel economy is better. I will get 650-670km from a tank if i run Shell Vpower 98, that drops to 630-650km if i use 91 octane. She also seems more responsive with 98 but like Tony H said - u will only get big improvements in HP if you remap otherwise its only a few HP difference at most...

identiti66

My V6 Cav struggled to get over 200bhp until I ran it with Optimax.. then it tipped the rollers at 204.

I don't think big improvements in bhp are realistic whatever the map are they? Although I suspect it's comparable.
But better overall performance (smoothness, driveability, mpg etc.) is, perhaps.

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
v-power
because!
WP_20140502_14_37_30_Pro.jpg

its cleaner burning and gives you more power obviously you could write its gains for n/a on the back of a stamp that's ripped in to 4 :)

identiti66

I can write really small..... ;)

V-Power is shell?

Need to try some if these engines have a tendency to respond well.. not just for (however small/non-existant) power gains but for the nicer driving engine.

identiti66

Deffo give it a whirl then.. :cool:

Timing chain kit arrived today bud, ordering the rest on Monday.. hopefully see you soon-ish. Before the weather gets REALLY crap.

identiti66

That'll take a while. It's rare the car does more than 100miles in a month. :LOL:

We used to disconnect the battery for a while on the older cars.. heard rumour of it re-learning after about 30 miles too but it'd be cool to know for sure :)

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
its 30miles after disconnection the battery
it learns to control the t/b better and sets the fueling up for your driving style ,optimum,spirited driving

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
what i mean is if you drive it like a grandad then it will set its self up to run like a grandad
if you drive it like you stole it then it well always have more fuel consumption and go a little quicker

but even after thats done if your driving style changes to either it learns the new was after a while :)

corsaZ22se

I have always used v-power in the z22se, it was recommended by the dealer and several leading tuners of Vauxhalls.
helps to eliminate the flat spot around 3000rpm on a standard/light tuned engine.
I found that I get better mpg's with it but as it costs more only a few pence saved each fill.
even run the 1.2 on it, because I can :D