Please help

Emmasch

Please help, i am a single mum and i have big issues with my car.

I have a Vectra 2.2 2007 auto Direct

No engine light on no warning sign .... My Vauxhall vectra 2.2 direct automatic Has lost all power It started a few weeks back I noticed slime on my oil dipstick, this terrified me so i asked my xhusband to have a look at this I also noticed slight signs of oil in my Cholent water,
her tempature guage since i owned her rarley went above 90, but she for the last couple of weeks seems to sit ar 95 and slightly above, her fan seems to be constentlly on, the temp does go down. I have had a complete oil and coolant drainage, new oil filter also. Garage also put somthing in the enguine called stop leak and no further sign of this problem.

However i was driving home 2 days ago and i noticed she suddernlly had no power regardless of how much i pushed on the throttle . I managed to get home and the called the RAC who looked at my car and put the diagnostic computer on, no faults found, so the RAC man took my car for a drive and suggested maybe she needed a gear Box oil change, so thats also since been done but still no change please can someone help .... I cannot afford to keep going to garage and not have a diagnoses.

Sorry to ask for help but i dont know what more to do . Maybe relavent i dont know but a month or so ago my car souned rattley under the car. She was put on the ramps and the rattle was coming from the middle and back of exhaust, the brackets holding it was snapped, the garage made some brackets and did some welding ungerneath to hold the brackets in place.
Maybe i am worring so much but their still seem to be slight knock/ underneath but spings bearings all checked and seem ok.

Any advice would be most greatful, and i very much appresiate you taking time to read my post. Thank you

IDI AMIN

From what you describe in the first paragraph it sounds like you have a blown head gasket.

I've also had the same symptoms, so i know from experience.

Loss of power could be related to a faulty high pressure fuel pump. I think it is a common problem with the Vectra 2.2 direct .

You have to do a search on the forum to get some more answers.

vx-chris

Welcome Emmasch, I’m glad you found the place ok (y)
As I said elsewhere these guys on here will be able to help you better.

IDI AMIN it’s been confirmed it’s not the head gasket I believe.

My first thought was the fuel pump playing up but I haven’t had a z22 for about 5 years now so it’s not all fresh in my memory lol.

evocarlos corsaZ22se do you guys have any ideas to help her out?

From the conversation I’ve already had with Emma (presuming that’s your actual name) the crank case breather is caked up so I’ve suggested to clean that out and see before she replaces with the new that she has ordered.

Photos that Emmasch sent me re the breather are attached
8984C4DC-6AFF-4508-8C5D-2373ABF665E1.jpeg10F4E66F-E48D-4A53-A503-D12752FD5AAF.jpeg

IDI AMIN

I'd be very surprised if there is not a problem with the head gasket

Especially from the symptoms described i.e. oil in coolant.

And also From the pictures posted. Which to me look like clear signs that oil and water have been mixing together for a considerable time

I would say this stop leak is more than likely some kind of liquid head gasket fix. Which would only be considered a temporary fix.

Big clue is the pictures. But i could be wrong.

vx-chris

I'd be very surprised if there is not a problem with the head gasket

Especially from the symptoms described i.e. oil in coolant.

And also From the pictures posted. Which to me look like clear signs that oil and water have been mixing together for a considerable time

I would say this stop leak is more than likely some kind of liquid head gasket fix. Which would only be considered a temporary fix.

Big clue is the pictures. But i could be wrong.

I can only say what ive been told mate. I had mayo in my old z22se and coolant wasn’t mixing with the oil, but like you i could be wrong especially as im no expert. Thats why i pointed her to here (y)

KevinH

From what's described, slime on dipstick and signs of oil in coolant = blown head gasket (as IDI AMIN mentioned above).

The 'Stop Leak' product is only a temporary solution and the head gasket should be renewed, which is an ideal opportunity to renew the timing and balance chains if they haven't been done (which are due at 100K miles or ten years).

Looking at the pictures of the 'mayonnaise residue' in the breather pipe rather confirms the mixing of oil and coolant but this can also occur due to short journeys which dont allow the vehicle to get up to operating temperature for long enough.

Last edited:

vx-chris

From what's described, slime on dipstick and signs of oil in coolant = blown head gasket (as IDI AMIN mentioned above).

The 'Stop Leak' product is only a temporary solution and the head gasket should be renewed, which is an ideal opportunity to renew the timing and balance chains if they haven't been done (which are due at 100K miles or ten years).

Looking at the pictures of the 'mayonnaise residue' in the breather pipe rather confirms the mixing of oil and coolant but this can also occur due to short journeys which dont allow the vehicle to get up to operating temperture for long enough.

I agree but i can only go on what ive been told. I haven’t seen the car as she is in Wales and im in Leicestershire, and thats why i pointed her here as you guys know more and better than me.

corsaZ22se

oil in coolant usually point towards head gasket failure :(
sudden loss of power could also so be down to head gasket failure as with sudden rise in running temperature and fans on constant.
not to familiar with the 2.2 direct if they suffer same faults as the z22se and cracked heads?
vocky or evocarlos should be able to shed more light on these faults.
stop leak is never a good idea. only causes more problems down the line.

evocarlos

Stupid Bollocks
Staff
normally with the autos you get coolant in the gearbox when the oil cooler fails but its not uncommon for the thermostat to fail causing the condition of head gasket failure on the the 2.2 and 2.2 direct.
I have repaired many of both types it seams the factory installed a stat that was labeled 82c but didn't actually go fully open til 96c manly in the vec c models only solution is to fit the real 82c stat from an astra g obviously if the damage is already done then a new head gasket and bolts are required

a while ago i bought HarleyPete old signum that had a suspected head gasket issue he was 4hours away i put a bottle of sealsteel in and drove home without issue but again after 2 weeks i still ended up doing the head gasket since doing the gasket the car has been fine it lost 40ml of coolant in 12months
the signum i drive down to pick up the car in kept overheating and we had to stop at every services to let it cool down the issue with that car was the thermostat sticking shut it would of eventually led to head gasket failure fitted the 82c astra stat once i was home and thats been good ever since it may even still be on the road

corsaZ22se the yh does not suffer with the cracked head on the spark plug well they use crush washer plugs so all is good :) fuel pumps are a pain in the arse tho the z22yh i bought for dad kept pushing the bearing out the case making the pump net get to pressure made a spacer to stop it coming out so far so good :)
WP_20190427_12_53_01_Pro.jpg

Emmasch

Wow wow wow, I am so very very sorry I only now see these posts, and id like to say thank you so very much for everyone's help.
VX-Chris yes this is my name " Emma lol

I have only ever used my car to take children to and from school and shopping, from where i live its about 6? Miles one way through town.

But ive an update on my car but not sure if it would give any further ideas.
OBD picked up code PO100 so after cleaning the sensor I decided to have all 4 spark plugs checked, 3 out of 4 was fine but looking online comparing coloure he bottom of plugs where carbon fouled, so these where all replaced, This seemed to make a difference with her when i took her for a test run, but still seemed to be lacking power.

After putting the OBD computer on her and going through the settings i noticed their was a code in the live data thing PO443,
I will post the photoes of the OBD computer, but the enguine wasnt running during these results i did it after the test drive but i dont have a clue whats what with it all.

Again thank you all so very very much.

Attachments

• 20190506_110850.jpg
    20190506_110850.jpg
    619.4 KB · Views: 255
  • 20190506_110917.jpg
    20190506_110917.jpg
    547 KB · Views: 271

Emmasch

oil in coolant usually point towards head gasket failure :(
sudden loss of power could also so be down to head gasket failure as with sudden rise in running temperature and fans on constant.
not to familiar with the 2.2 direct if they suffer same faults as the z22se and cracked heads?
vocky or evocarlos should be able to shed more light on these faults.
stop leak is never a good idea. only causes more problems down the line.

I have no idea in cars, infact im learning more now then I ever have, I guess thats the joys of being a single parent.
My x husband put it in but like with you many have said the same "its not so good as it is a temp fix to the problem".
Thank you lovley.

corsaZ22se

I would go with what evocarlos says. Carl is a top bloke when it comes to fixing the 2.2's and offers good advise or repair services.
not sure where abouts in the country you are but there may be someone close who can have a look and advise on what's best plan to repair your car.
Lots of knowledge on the 2.2's on here so you are in the right place. (y)

Emmasch

I would go with what evocarlos says. Carl is a top bloke when it comes to fixing the 2.2's and offers good advise or repair services.
not sure where abouts in the country you are but there may be someone close who can have a look and advise on what's best plan to repair your car.
Lots of knowledge on the 2.2's on here so you are in the right place. (y)

Thank you lovley
Im in south wales carmarthenshire.

Emmasch

May i ask what sort of price would be reasonable if i was to sell her as spares or repairs?.
I love this car but I actually cant afford to spend anymore on her and I think its best I let her go .
I paid £2200 for her but that was just over a year ago.
Im guessing I shall not get alot for her but thats life hey, but I was thinking of about £300??. Or would that be too much, genuinely I havnt a clue.

Thank you again

Looking at the pictures of the 'mayonnaise residue' in the breather pipe rather confirms the mixing of oil and coolant but this can also occur due to short journeys which dont allow the vehicle to get up to operating temperature for long enough.

Hello lovley, she has done 89k and ive never had the timing belt done. She is due a service but due to this issue ive not had it done.