Piper 2.5" vx220 exhaust system

vocky

Staff
Piper need 10 people before they will go ahead, perhaps with a nice group buy discount Garry ?

so if you want a 2.5" cat back system for your vx220 (z22se) please add your name to the list (y)

might be an idea to add what you want as well; 2.5" cat back : 2.5" downpipe : 4-1 manifold

1. vocky - 2.5" cat back system

techieboy

rik1083 said:
what about noise? will it be track friendly? by that I mean similar to milltek levels

As with Rik, need some reassurance around noise levels. If it's track friendly then I'd be interested.

Vix

Although I don't plan any further engine mods this year (at least), I must admit that my first thought was what about a 3" system? But is bigger necessarily better on an SC?
cheers..

vocky

Staff
I'm not planning any mods either, but at the right price I will get one, I don't want it too noisy either, but the milltek is too damn quiet, even after being converted to 2.5" (n)

a 3" system would be best suited to stage 3 sc's, so not going to be many takers dunno..

the 2.5" will be good for stage 2 sc's and high powered na's (y)

scubadaddy

2.Scubadaddy. Car is yours again Garry if you would like (could we get this done before 27/02/09)can we make it as db friendly as possible ?

joe_589

2.Scubadaddy. Car is yours again Garry if you would like (could we get this done before 27/02/09)can we make it as db friendly as possible ?
3. Joe_589 cat back system

techieboy

2. Scubadaddy. Car is yours again Garry if you would like (could we get this done before 27/02/09)can we make it as db friendly as possible ?
4. Techieboy - 2.5" Downpipe and 2.5" cat back system - but only if it's not too loud!

Karlosfandango

2. Scubadaddy. Car is yours again Garry if you would like (could we get this done before 27/02/09)can we make it as db friendly as possible ?
4. Techieboy - 2.5" Downpipe and 2.5" cat back system - but only if it's not too loud!
5. Karlosfandango - 2.5" cat back system (if that means backbox and u bend)

rsg

6. RSG - 2.5" cat back system (only if its trackdayable)

joe_589

3. Joe_589 cat section (no back box or mani)

rik1083

7. Rik1083 (again, only if it's track quiet - 98dB Static. 0.5m and 45° from exhaust at ¾ maximum RPM)

PiperRS

Trader
vocky said:
Piper need 10 people before they will go ahead, perhaps with a nice group buy discount Garry ?
so if you want a 2.5" cat back system for your vx220 (z22se) please add your name to the list (y)
might be an idea to add what you want as well; 2.5" cat back : 2.5" downpipe : 4-1 manifold

Thanks for setting this up Vocky. Shall be keeping an eye on it for you :) But i think i should be making a slot in my development schedule already to keep you all happy :D

rik1083 said:
what about noise? will it be track friendly? by that I mean similar to milltek levels

Being a 2.5" bore system it will be louder than the 2.00" Milltek system. Sadly this is a side effect of a large bore system. If this development goes ahead tho we shall be looking at ways to reduce the noise to a more track friendly level.

Muncher83 said:
No option for a 3" system?

Not for a NA car, its just way too big. Sorry.

Sjdickso said:
Hopefully Garry and his team can sort this out for you guys!

We shall do our best for you all (y)

exmantaa said:
Any idea on price & looks?

Price - Not yet, but shall look into this. It will very much depend on the way in which the system is made, bearing in mind it needs to be track friendly.
Look - See below.

joe_589 said:

This is a group buy for the Cat back system only :) Please call me to order the downpipe/cat section as this is avaliable now :)

sdbutler10 said:
looks like another good group buy going along

Yep, you boys are sure keeping me busy. Cheers Scott (y)

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This looks like it should be a good development job we have here. I can however see a few problems already. Mainly with regards to the noise. You all would like a system to be developed in 2.50" pipework, which will be loud, but you would all like it track friendly? This is going to be a problem :confused:

In the past we have found a couple of ways to combat this:

1) Fit additional silencers - Not possible due to lack of space
2) Reduce the bore inside the silencer - Will reduce the flow rate and limit performance
3) Fit a tailpipe with the option of having a restrictor added for track use - loud when in road use, limits power in track use

So, which of the above options would you like me to work with? And i shall look into it.

Another thing is the tailpipe. As its a new development i can consider new options at this point. My initial thoughts are to offer 3 options:

1) Two pipes, one over the other - inwardly rolled - Black ceramic coated
2) Two pipes, one over the other - outwardly rolled
3) A single tailpipe with restrictor option - for track use

Again, let me know what your thoughts are on this :)

Target price is another thing i would like your opinion on. As an example our current 2.25" system is £437.00 inc VAT. Now, the more work that goes into the 2.50" version the more it will cost. Now i keep hearing positive things about the Milltek system (except the 2" bore) and that retails at £618.80 (http://www.thorneymotorsport.co.uk/products/product_info.php?cPath=23_69_105&products_id=2709) so am i correct in assuming that if we can offer a 2.50" system for around the £600 - £650 mark you would all find this acceptable? If not then let me know a target price you would like to see and i can see if we can meet the targets you set. :)

Remember, im developing this product to YOUR specifications and demands, so the more input you have, the better the product will be showo..

I await your comments. (y)

Kind Regards

Garry Curley
Race Product Development Dept

vocky

Staff
I'm pulling out as it seems a track friendly system is really what everyone wants (and need), I will go back to my previous plan and make my own :LOL:

so track friendly 2.5" vx220 system list.......

1. Scubadaddy. Car is yours again Garry if you would like (could we get this done before 27/02/09)can we make it as db friendly as possible ?
2. Techieboy - 2.5" Downpipe and 2.5" cat back system - but only if it's not too loud!
3. Karlosfandango - 2.5" cat back system (if that means backbox and u bend)
4. RSG - 2.5" cat back system (only if its trackdayable)
5. Rik1083 (again, only if it's track quiet - 98dB Static. 0.5m and 45° from exhaust at ¾ maximum RPM)

techieboy

Garry, isn't the noise level dependent on the physical size of the silencer? What size is/are your silencers?

The best "track friendly'ish" option we currently have available to us, is from http://www.2bular.com/conversions.htm and Jim's exhaust uses a 7"x24" silencer as standard (or indeed an 8"x24" on request). In an SC converted car the 7"x24" is probably right on the noise limit for some strict tracks.

Maybe removable "db killers" are the way forward - noise when you want it and less when you don't need it, as I guess it only needs to attenuate the noise by 3db, or similar. Dunno, you're the expert here. notsure.gif

PiperRS

Trader
techieboy said:
Garry, isn't the noise level dependent on the physical size of the silencer? What size is/are your silencers?

The best "track friendly'ish" option we currently have available to us, is from http://www.2bular.com/conversions.htm and Jim's exhaust uses a 7"x24" silencer as standard (or indeed an 8"x24" on request). In an SC converted car the 7"x24" is probably right on the noise limit for some strict tracks.

Maybe removable "db killers" are the way forward - noise when you want it and less when you don't need it, as I guess it only needs to attenuate the noise by 3db, or similar. Dunno, you're the expert here. notsure.gif

Yes your right :) The bigger the silencer the better is generally a good rule but sometimes it does not work, lol. The key always seems to be the length rather than the diameter we have found.

So if we try and fit a 8" diameter silencer, 24" in length, will that be okay? Also, what is the bore size of the tubular system? The larger the bore the bigger the silencer required :confused: We know that space is a premium with these cars so we are limited on the silencers we can use. One of the biggest problems with fitting a long silencer is that i will still need space at either end to get a good bend into, and out of the silencer to make sure it flows really smooth :)

The largest silencer possible, coupled with a "Track" tailpipe, that can have a restrictor fitted might get the level down :) This also means that our product is suitable for both markets, road and track. It just means that people who want to go on the track will need to order the track tailpipe also and swap them over before the day :)

I think were getting somewhere now.

Kind Regards

Garry Curley
Race Product Development Dept