Phase II - saab head + 11:1 CR

vocky

Staff
started to build up the parts for Phase II :D

11:1 CR Wiseco pistons arrived today from Canada 8)

Attachments

• IMGP2302.JPG
    IMGP2302.JPG
    33 KB · Views: 4,299
  • IMGP2303.JPG
    IMGP2303.JPG
    46 KB · Views: 4,286
  • IMGP2304.JPG
    IMGP2304.JPG
    44.2 KB · Views: 4,273
  • IMGP2305.JPG
    IMGP2305.JPG
    36.2 KB · Views: 4,268

alanoo

Re: Phase II - it begins

Do you know how much does these weight ?

Do not forget to deburr them as much as you can, I even can see a small impact on the 2nd pic that needs some rework for top reliability

vocky

Staff

they weigh 288.4 - 289.1 grams

I must admit to thinking they needed a deburr when I first looked at them :roll:

the 2nd pic actually shows where the deburr tool stopped rather than an impact, so they do need a little work to make them perfect, but thats part of the fun :LOL:

alanoo

Ok cool, not much heavier than 10:1 so still good for high rpm application :)

I think we spent something like almost 4 hours on our Wisecos pistons on deburring, polishing and making the best weights balance with the rods / pins / rings

vocky

Staff

I'm aiming for an engine capable of 7500 - 7600 rpm 8)

the standard pistons and lostfoam head are my engine's weak points, so Phase II will eliminate them both

I also will be adding the Ferrera double valve springs whilst fitting the saab head :)

JohnnyN

Former Staff

Bugger man! I love your work. I'd love to come up and visit you when you're doing this. The pistons do look beautifully engineered. Almost geometrically similar to some of the aircraft components that we make in work.

thumbup

slimvince

Wow!
Will be nice to see what the raised CR in combination with a remap to make the most of it will do!

alanoo

vocky said:
I'm aiming for an engine capable of 7500 - 7600 rpm 8)

the standard pistons and lostfoam head are my engine's weak points, so Phase II will eliminate them both

I also will be adding the Ferrera double valve springs whilst fitting the saab head :)

I'm not sure how much cc the LSJ/Saab head is
Should be interesting to get some precise information about the real CR you should get, to choose the head gasket for example :D

vocky

Staff

more goodies arrived today, saab 'sandcast' head from Sweden :D

note the lack of an egr system nana.gif

Attachments

• IMGP2306.JPG
    IMGP2306.JPG
    52.9 KB · Views: 4,406
  • IMGP2307.JPG
    IMGP2307.JPG
    40.3 KB · Views: 4,184

rik1083

what are you going to use for cams? z22se ones wont fit in? saab ones are for turbo?

winstar

rik1083 said:
what are you going to use for cams? z22se ones wont fit in? saab ones are for turbo?

From .org

dude said:
Winstar said:
speedster said:
Yeah, I got the SAAB head OK. It's configured with SAAB turbo cams. The sand cast gives the head a smoother finish on the inner surfaces, less air friction I reckon.

The main advantage of the sand cast head is the material is much stronger than the lost foam casting used on the z22se.

Do you know if there's any other mods needed to fit it to the z22se?

No modifications that needs any bigger efforts to solve.
A cover for the end of the other camshaft. Z22Se has 1 long and one short cam and SAAB has 2 long ones.
A new valvecover.

Beside that i dont see any more to do.

vocky

Staff

I'm going to reuse my piper 266 degree cams and +1mm valves from my z22se head.

I was going to get the cat cams stage 2's but noticed they are not much different to my piper 266's, I'm still not sure why I received 266 degree cams from piper when everyone else seem to get 260's notsure.gif

I also thought about getting a new set of valves, but they cost £200 for a set and to be honest when I flog my z22se head I would only get £200 more with valves fitted, so I see little point in the extra hassle of importing another set or perhaps I'm just lazy :LOL:

edit: I have sold the complete set of saab 'turbo' valves

alanoo

winstar said:
rik1083 said:

From .org

dude said:
Winstar said:
The main advantage of the sand cast head is the material is much stronger than the lost foam casting used on the z22se.

Do you know if there's any other mods needed to fit it to the z22se?

No modifications that needs any bigger efforts to solve.
A cover for the end of the other camshaft. Z22Se has 1 long and one short cam and SAAB has 2 long ones.
A new valvecover.

Beside that i dont see any more to do.

I think there is an oil gallery there that needs to be blocked too, not only the cover at the end