part 1 of cruise control mod

furn

today my cruise control stalk arrived (£10 inc p&p) ebay and ive just fitted it , now i just need the clutch switch im going to get one from the stealers they have them in stock.

once ive fitted it do i need to reset the ecu to make it work or will it just work from the off

chrisjw

Hold on... Entering this a bit late I feel...

I've been wondering how easy it would be to fit cruise control to my vectra B 2001 SRi ever since I bought it (3 weeks...)

Are you saying it is as easy as fitting a new stalk and a clutch switch???

Andy

yep thats all you'll need.

the extra wiring for the cruise buttons should be under the plastic cowling by the steering wheel and the wires for the clutch switch should be tucked up by the pedal.

chrisjw

Oh my God!!! That is being sorted tomorrow!!!

Anyone got the clutch switch part vauxhall part number?

How does it work with a manual box? If you go up a steep hill and it needs to change gear what happens?

Andy

Clutch Switch for Vectra B - 90569685

Indicator stalk with C/C buttons - 9181014

it only works over 20mph (i think, might be 30mph) so if the speed drops below that it will dissengage. it will accelerate gently to try and maintain the speed you set it at when going up hill to compensate for the car slowing down

SriSte

If you set it at say 60 and drop it into 3rd and recall speed its quite surprising how fast it'll make you accelerate :p

chrisjw

Thanks for that!!! Just bought a kit of ebay containing both parts from a guy who has my exact car for £30. Not sure if it a good price for both but it's not a lot either way for a quality addition to my car.

Ta very much for the advice!!!

Now I just need to know where to fit the clutch switch of is it obvious once you remove the cover over the pedals?

Andy

£30 is a good price, would have cost you around £60 from vx.

took me a little while to find the wiring for the clutch switch but i found it eventualy. i was laying on the seat with my head down in the footwell. I'm sure its a white plug with 2 wires going to it notsure.gif

chrisjw

Sounds logical...

Where abouts does the switch go? Or is that obvious once you have the switch and the pedal exposed?

Anyone got a photo?

vocky

Staff
I fitted cruise a week or so ago to my mates 2.2 vectra, I found that by removing the air duct (a single push in clip below the fusebox) that access was much better, I also spotted the white plug straight away too :D

Andy

the switch goes at the top of the clutch pedal.

i also removed the air duct, gave me a lot more room to work with.

chrisjw

Thanks for that!!

Just have to wait for snail mail now!!! Wish you could send ebay items over the net!! StarTrek style!!

furn

i priced them both @ local dealer stalk 45+vat , clutch switch 20+vat so you got a good deal

what did you search for on ebay because i cant find a clutch switch maybe ive been looking in the wrong place.

SriSte

Yup access is greatly improved one the cover and airduct are removed, theres a hole in a metal plate for the switch to clip into, its positioned so the switch is depressed when the clutch pedal is unpressed. Its a bit of a tight fit!

I got my stalk and switch from a scrapyard for £8 :D

furn

just enquired at autovaux clutch switch is 16.45+vat £2 delivery, 20.65+vat @ stealers ive just rechecked

chrisjw

I searched for "vectra cruise stalk" and found a few stalks but then there was also a guy selling a "Vauxhall Vectra B Cruise Control KIT". Think it's a bit of a one off as he was just removing it from his before selling it. Seems a fair enough price. Not a lot for a quality addition!!

Didn't even look around for prices. Just saw and bought about 5 seconds later.

furn

just fitted the clutch switch today fairly easy once i tyrapped the clutch to the steering column to keep it out of the way then figured out that the red sleeve has to be up to fit the switch in the slot then it slides down to lock it in place.

then it just works it makes me wonder why cruise didnt come as standard its that easy!