Oil usage.

The sri150 engine Z22se of course, is a good engine but does it normally drink so much oil? i mean its filled up and i do a 400 mile trip its empty...My currant mileage is 92k and i have had the car since sept 2002(purchased 3 months old), the engine was rebuilt at 48k due to the recall i knew nothing about, the engine had blown and had to be fully rebuilt at my cost, Its been since around 70k its always been drinking oil, the car is regular serviced and still nothing changes, luckily i dont do a lot of miles, but he amount of oil being used is somewhat worrying, the car is not leaking any oil either.
I wonder if its a fault with these engines or not.
Any info would be very nice.

Many thanks.

figo126

you have 3.5 litres still in the engine when the oil is on the lowest mark on the dipstick ,is it smoking from exhaust from start up , might be valve stem oil seals, and the piston rings build up with crap,,,,,

KevinH

The amount of oil required from MIN to MAX on the dipstick is 1 litre. The owners manuals do say that oil consumption is 0.6 litre/1000 Km (0.5 litre/500 miles) for the Z22SE engines.

If you are consuming more than this, as figo126 mentioned above, there may be a more serious problem.

What grade of oil are you using ?

Hi yes my engine is not smoking, neither when i floor it or at start up, she runs pretty sound.
The oil im using is 5w/30 fully synthetic, the amount of oil im losing is the dipstick amount(approx 1 litre) per 400 miles, it seems a lot to me.
The car has had an engine clean in nov 2015 as well as a full service again, i have a full service once a year without fail with the MOT, even if i only do a few 100 miles, you can tell i dont do a mass amount per year as its only 92k and i had the car almost 14 years..It had 23k when i bought it, i have done 69k in 14 years thats 4900 miles per year.
If thats any help to you at all.

Last edited:

patricks

They can use a bit of oil mine doesnt blow smoke either and uses oil not quite as much as you but enough. Apparently there is a mod that u can do to the cam cover to reduce oil consumption i havent tried it but Johnss has u myt want to ask him how its worked for him