Odd engine groan

YAKmobil

Hi,

This is my first post, as you can probably guess from the counter. Sorry if this is an issue that appears frequently, but i couldn't find an answer using the search function.

I purchased a Zafira 2.2, 2004 model not so long ago as a general family hack. The car has just over 41k on the clock and a FSH, although i think it has been used a lot for stop-start type motoring and i'm not 100% convinced about the FSH as the oil and air filters looked like they had been around the clock when i did an engine service shortly after buying the car - oil filter in particular looked very brittle, although was still in one piece. That said, the mileage appears genuine based on the MOT history.

Anyway, the engine makes an odd groaning sound when you lift off the throttle. The noise is very slight and almost sounds like exhaust harmonics, although the back-box is a new GM unit fitted by me a few weeks ago (old one starting to crumble away...). Has anyone come across this noise with these engines? Is it normal? I realise that it is hard to appreciate a noise based on a description, but if this is a common fault, someone must have some pointers. The noise is most pronounced when the engine isn't under load, but that is probably because road noise drowns it out. If you're in traffic (or on the drive - sorry neighbours) and raise the revs to 2000, then lift off, the noise occurs. Its only faint, but it doesn't sound right. Perhaps something is about to let go?

My thoughts are possibly that the water or oil pump bearings are starting to give up the ghost. Would this noise be consistent with that? Any other ideas?

Any related thoughts would be much appreciated.

Chris

YAKmobil

The odd groan was the flexi-connector on the exhaust downpipe which had broken down internally. Noise is only apparent at between 1,000 - 1,600 rpm, but i have decided to live with it for now as a new assembly includes the cat and is £700 from GM.