Normal needle?

richard165

Hey guys

These are my revs at idle, are they too low? As well as this you'll notice the needle is up and down. Car runs sweet.

Ive checked all vacuum houses new tb seal? New inlet seals egr blanked. Breather hose checked,

Does anyone have any ideas what i might have missed?

Thank you guys!

Berto

Check if warm idle stabilizes when you remove the oil filler cap while engine is ticking.

richard165

Hi,

Its always been the same, tried that too mate. It's been nagging me for years. After a timing chain replacement i cleared the can cover out with de greaser too. Oil flushes injector cleaning cts changed too as well as a new throttle body . There are so many idle problems on here, it's not really noticeable in the car and is not like you can measure it fluctuating either.

Do you think it's pcv pressure? I've had the hose leading groom cam cover to intake mayoed up before.

Berto

Could be crankcase pressure, amongst other causes. If it is, removing the oil cap (thus relieving crankcase pressure) should have a stabilizng effect on idle.

Mayo means watery oil, from ambient humidity condensation (typically after short drives in winter) or from leaking coolant mixing with oil.

KevinH

At correct engine temperature idle speed should be 750 rpm and is controlled by the ECU mapping table. If you switch on your aircon you should notice the idle increase to 900 rpm. Rev counters and speedometers have a habit of not being totally accurate and represent an approximation, that's why they allow 10% over the speed limit for speed cameras.
To get an exact reading of you vehicle's idle speed plug TECH2 or OpCom into it.

richard165

Could be crankcase pressure, amongst other causes. If it is, removing the oil cap (thus relieving crankcase pressure) should have a stabilizng effect on idle.

Mayo means watery oil, from ambient humidity condensation (typically after short drives in winter) or from leaking coolant mixing with oil.

Luckily no noticeable coolant leak although every year i have to add a very slight amount of coolant. Its a nagging problem because when the car is driving motorway speeds constant revs there is no erratic behaviour.

richard165

At correct engine temperature idle speed should be 750 rpm and is controlled by the ECU mapping table. If you switch on your aircon you should notice the idle increase to 900 rpm. Rev counters and speedometers have a habit of not being totally accurate and represent an approximation, that's why they allow 10% over the speed limit for speed cameras.
To get an exact reading of you vehicle's idle speed plug TECH2 or OpCom into it.

I hate speed cameras:mad:! I've had it plugged in at a mates garage and they move about a tiny bit he told me he's seen it tons of times on this and other engines and not to be concerned.

Interestingly, it does however improve when i use shell v power but only slightly because i took it back running on that. Its not Juddering or shaking and no lights are on.